DL: MIA-TPE $580 AI

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by spkg, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    This one is too good to not post. dates are wide open in March, and connecting is JFK is allowed, so getting the CPM under 3 is very easy. TPE is a very cool city to visit this time a year. This is a fantastic run for all you pool guys who still have to fly DL.

2. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's right. Taipei has the best Chinese art collections in the National Palace Museum and best Chinese restaurants in Greater China.

spkg likes this.
  3. I just booked one of these and it will be my first International MR. I am going to be flying into TPE just after 9pm and then flying back out in the morning around 9am so I will have 12 hours or so at the airport. If I stay in the airport, do I have to worry about customs, visa's, or anything else? As long as I have my passport, would I be ok?

And my plan is to just sleep in the terminal and so I'm hoping that the airport is open 24 hours.

For those of you who are have done International MRs before, any words of wisdom you could pass along to help me prepare?

4. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    US citizens don't need visa for such short stay. Actually you can take the frequent shuttle bus to downtown Taipei at about $4 one-way or less than $8 for RT. And you can enjoy the delicious food and night life for a few hours. There are restaurants and bars running late, as well as night markets with cheap and delicious food. The earliest shuttle bus from downtown Taipei to TPE starts around 4:40AM. By the way, there is free wifi hotspot at the arrival and departure lobbies.

5. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I should go to Taipei for little bit. How long is the ride there? Is it much of a problem getting through customs? And if I decide to go, do you know if there are lockers or somewhere I can leave my bags? I'm probably only going to have a small duffel bag and a backpack. And do they take US Dollars? Or will I need to convert money... and how much should I convert for that short trip to Taipei if all I really plan on doing is grabbing some food and hanging out? I'm not much into the party or drinking scene so don't know what else I would be spending money on besides food.

6. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. It takes less than an hour from TPE to downtown Taipei, given the arrival time of DL flight after rush hours.
    2. It is very easy to get through customs.
    3. There is baggage deposit service charging NT$: http://www.taoyuan-airport.com/english/Publish.jsp?cnid=1194#top3
    4. Credit cards are accepted in most convenience stores and restaurants in Taipei. The 7-11 stores in Taipei are amazing, much better than what we have in the US. In night markets, most vendors takes cash only. The TPE-downtown Taipei bus costs about $8 for roundtrip. Cost of $10 in the night market or smaller restaurants can make you very full. Converting $40USD should be more than enough.
    5. You might want to take a look of http://www.taipeitravel.net/user/main.aspx?lang=2
    6. Taiwan Beer is very tasty and available in most convenience stores.

jw3711 likes this.
  7. Thank you so much! I was just going to sit in the airport for 12 hours but now I have something to look forward to.