DL LGA Expansion - Phase 1 schedules released

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by ClipperDelta, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta is starting to load the new LGA schedules (due to the US slot swap); service will start with the summer schedule (March 25, 2012).
    This thread on a.net has some of the details:
    http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5334675/

There will also be a news conference in NYC tomorrow (1130 Eastern) about the expansion:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/15/idUS219260 15-Dec-2011 PRN20111215

Basically, new cities/flights for Phase 1 will include:
    LGA-DFW: 6x daily
    LGA-MIA: 4x daily
    LGA-BTV: 3x daily
    LGA-GSO: 3x daily
    LGA-ORF: 4x daily
    LGA-RIC: 5x daily
    LGA-BUF: 6x daily
    LGA-ROC: 4x daily
    LGA-SYR: 5x daily
    LGA-MHT: 2x daily
    LGA-SDF: 1x daily
    LGA-DAY: 2x daily
    All of the above are various RJs (ERJ, CRJ, CR7, CR9) except LGA-MIA (M88) and LGA-DFW (E70/75s by Shuttle America)

LGA-ILM and LGA-ROA are also supposed to start in July; other new ones coming supposedly include LGA-DEN and LGA-MKE...

Overall, I believe DL is getting 116 new flights at LGA, 16 of which will be used to add frequencies to existing markets, with the other 100 going to 29 new destinations (i.e., new DL destinations from LGA)..

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, this is really the return of some of these routes. DL used to fly GSO-LGA, and I flew on it a couple of times when I lived there. The thing to watch will be the shifts at JFK, just to see if they move any domestic routes over to free up the slots for more profitable international flying.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going after DFW with E70s?? Weak.

How do they plan on getting an exemption to be able to fly the DEN flight?

Otherwise the routes look a lot like what US offers out of LGA today, which makes a lot of sense.

DeltaExpert and JSpira like this.
  4. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought that Denver's exemption from the perimeter rule was not airline specific, but that is only my recollection.

5. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The E70s should all have wi-fi by the time the route launches, so it shouldn't be materially different than a mainline flight.

DEN is a city-specific exemption, not airline based. Anyone can launch that route (it was one of Frontier's first routes once they got the 737-300 back in the day if I recall)

Gargoyle, JSpira and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    So my recollection (post above yours) was correct. Danke!

7. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Delta is the leading carrier at LaGuardia with 29.6 percent of the passengers to American's 20.9 percent and US Airways 17.6 percent. With the big transfer of slots, Delta's market share will jump upwards as US Airways goes downward.

This present a particular problem for American, which has made New York one of its five "cornerstone" markets. Delta is also the leading carrier in passengers carried out of New York Kennedy, ahead of JetBlue Airways and American, and is No. 2 at Newark, behind No. 1 Continental but ahead of No. 3 United, No. 4 US Airways and No. 5 American.

8. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Titans26
    Silver Member
    Delta announces major expansion at New York LaGuardia, including DFW flights

By Terry Maxon/Reporter
    tmaxon@dallasnews.com | Bio
    10:35 AM on Fri., Dec. 16, 2011 | Permalink
    Delta Air Lines announced Friday it'll offer non-stop service to a number of new markets, including the hubs of major competitors. That includes:

• Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, largest hub of American Airlines, with six daily round trips.

• Miami, another American hub

• Houston, Continental Airlines hub

• Denver, United Airlines hub

• Charlotte, US Airways hub

That takes care of all the big legacy hub-and-spoke carriers, I guess.

Delta, which picked up 132 slot pairs at LaGuardia in a trade with US Airways, said it is adding more than 100 new flights and 29 new destinations. Said Delta:

"The investment will be the largest single expansion by any carrier at LaGuardia in decades, with total flights increasing by more than 60 percent, and total destinations by more than 75 percent. By summer 2012, Delta will operate 264 daily flights between LaGuardia and more than 60 cities, more than any other airline."

From the 10:30 a.m. press conference:

Delta CEO Richard Anderson said that the first time in LaGuardia's history, "we're going to build a hub."

Combined with Delta's $1.3 billion terminal project at New York's JFK Airport, this "really positions Delta as the No. 1 airline in New York," Anderson said.

Gail Grimmett, Delta's senior vice president for New York, said the expansion in 2012 will mean that Delta will fly to nearly all the top 50 markets out of LaGuardia.

The background material on the D/FW Airport service indicates that the Delta service apparently will be on a Delta Connection carrier flying Embraer E-170s. Those are 70-seat regional jets, with six seats in first class in a 1X2 arrangement and 64 seats in coach in a 2X2 arrangement.

The Miami schedule will offer four round trips on Delta's MD-88 jets, with 141 or 142 seats. Houston will involve four round trips on either the E-170 or the Embraer E-175, a 76-seat jet.

The Denver schedule will include two round trips on the Boeing 737, variety not specified. That would be either 124-seat 737-700s or 160-seat 737-800s. Charlotte would involve five round trips on Bombardier regional jets with 70 or 76 seats.

Grimmett said Delta is investing $140 million at LaGuardia, including a connector from its current Terminal D to new space at Terminal C that it will occupy and a new airport club in Terminal C.
    Titans26, 23 minutes ago EditReport#1Reply

9. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do I delete the thread I started on the same topic?

10. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    By carefully reading the first page of the forum to see if another thread already exists before creating your own ;)

In seriousness, all you have to do is click the "report" button on the first post of the duplicate thread, and a moderator will be alerted to delete the thread.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, I had forgotten about that bit. :oops:

JSpira likes this.
  12. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is needed is an underground high-speed rail link between JFK and LGA. Like the want to do from LHR-LGW ;)

LETTERBOY, Davescj and DeltaExpert like this.
  13. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not as much as you may think. DL's bird will have an F cabin, WI-FI, and meals (abet cold in regionals). AA on this route has MadDogs. Not exactly a transcontinental flight experience there either.

14. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    i would settle for an MTA bus. underground high-speed rail link wont happen anytime in the next decades

brfort likes this.
  15. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AirTrain was supposed to be it but no one can get their act together to build the AirTrain to LGA. It's supposed to run JFK<->Jamaica<->LGA.

I can't wait for them to build the LGA extension myself. I travel the LIRR when I go to NY and usually fly into LGA.

-RM

brfort likes this.
  16. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not know that, makes perfect sense.

17. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what part of Terminal C US will keep for its Shuttle and hub flights?