[DL] JFK-SVO $543ai

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by TheTravelAbstract, Aug 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to The Dog there is a sale on Delta JFK-SVO $543 ai for October travel

You need a Saturday-night included in your itinerary.

For nonstop flights on DL 30 Outbound and DL 31 Return Leg.

I found it on orbitz and Delta for dates in October.

In fact there are lots of sub $600 fares during Ocotber in general.

But the $543 is a bit harder to find.

Books into Deep Discount Economy T,U,L so you get 100% accrual for all 9322 flight miles.

Not sure how many would consider this mileage run but I thought it is a good deal for a quick trip to Moscow.

Also if you do not have Gold Delta CC you can get $50 statement credit that would knock this down to $493 ai.

I found $543ai on 10/5-10/8 and 10/11-10/18

You do need a visa but it is not too hard if you are close to Embassy/Consulates or you can hire agency to do it for you.

I am not an expert on Russian Visa requirements and time table but it is something to consider for this deal.

Will update accordingly.

You can read more details on my blog.

2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    would love to see *A match...

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's $230-$250 + 3 weeks through an agency. Best to avoid direct contact with a Russian consulate.

4. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    After the ominous sentence you just dropped on us and left the room on, care to share your experience with the Russian Consulate?

KGB shootouts and all please.

5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, that recommendation was supposed to be strictly factual with no ominous overtones. Russian consulates in general are bureaucratic, inconsistent, and have difficult paperwork requirements. People residing along the eastern half of USA are required to deal with branches that are known to be particularly frustrating.

I have gotten a Russian visa in the past, but have not dealt directly with a consulate. It's much easier to contract an agency, and costs about the same. They will format your application exactly as required, and likely submit it with your passport and photos to the SF branch (known to be the most competent). I had a good experience dealing with this agency --> http://www.gotorussia.com/index.htm

6. deltagoldLass

deltagoldLass Silver Member

Status Points:
    Visa takes a while. And is costly if done lasti
    Minute
    You have to hey an invite from the hotel where u are staying
    If u travel with a group much easier I'm told
    I had to go to Russian counsulate in NYC it felt like
    Cold war days
    The visa is pretty only lasts exactly for days spent there
    Perhaps if you fly sat return Sunday and stay in avo u won't need a visa lol
    St Petersburg is beautiful and so too Ukraine I've heard
    Moscow well I'll post some pics everything is big and expensive
    For miles it's worth the trip I did it last winter 2010
    Did Turner twice

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the addition of the visa costs make this far less attractive as a MR.

;)

8. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the advice everybody.

@M7VO I was hoping you had some wild KGB story to share but yours will do just fine.

I had been wondering about the Visa process and all of you have just reaffirmed how annoying the process would be.

I figure he flight is couple hundred dollars cheaper than usual and that should cover the Visa Costs.

I have dealt with Argentine consulate in NYC and Buenos Aires for several years, so I know my bureaucracy and have learned to stand in a line to nowhere fairly well.

I would probably not go to Russia, its on a list just not "the list", for the fact their government still makes people disappear and throws rock bands in jail.

I guess this could have been posted in Deal Page but it seemed more like a mistake fare/travel hack.

MX likes this.
  9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea! I feel that leisure travelers should boycott Russia for the time being. It's definitely turned for the worse in the last 2 years, and its state is much more sensitive to tourist spending than to public declarations.

10. deltagoldLass

Status Points:
    HI! i went to moscow last February
    it takes time to get a visa if you are not traveling with a group. and i needed to have the hotels i stayed in " invite" me to stay... i had to give these letters to the Embassy and i had to have a specific set of dates for the duration of my trip because, my visa expired on the date of my return flight. It was a costly process- they claimed i did not have enough pages in my passport so i had to emergency have pages added and then pay a rush feww to the Russian Embassy to have them process the info it was about 350.00 all said and done....
    so if you go, make sure you have a good visa plan before you buy a last minute tkt
    namaste!

11. deltagoldLass

Status Points:
    Hi!
    extremely expenseve there and it has that i dont know how to put it delicately but, the
    political feeling i sensed seemed to be the one that existed not too long ago........
    perhaps it was just me
    peace and namaste

12. deltagoldLass

Status Points:
    agreed

13. deltagoldLass

Status Points:
    i wonder if you could get around th visa cost if you flew in and out and never left the airport...
    what do you think?