DL IT silliness, sloppiness and failures thread

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Jul 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A month or two DL became really flaky about sending upgrade email notices. I haven't received any for the last 4 upgrades, and reports here and on FT show this is widespread.

I switched my itinerary two weeks ago, moved the flights by two days, but they are e-mailing me flight announcements for the segments that I cancelled.

They called me 24 hours before a flight out of JFK with details about how the flight is leaving from T2, and I have to go to T2 to check in. Note that this is for an itin where I am connecting from an inbound TATL DL flight. This wouldn't be bad except that, when I see a voicemail from DL in the 24 hour window I assume flight CX or delay, and so checking that voicemail internationally could be problematic for some people. (thanks to Google Voice, it's no problem). Bottom line, this stuff is just sloppy.

DL used to have such good IT 4 or 5 years ago, what happened?

anileze, sobore, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our enterprise model can no longer tolerate good competent service. In order to be successful, visible, indispensible, promoted, one must fight fires, battle disasters, cope with complaints & persevere. I presume DL IT just learned to adapt to those requirements.

anileze, uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is an Italian proverb that translates roughly, "whoever breaks something and fixes it is never idle".

It's very important to always look busy.

anileze, sobore, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the "delay" emails/app notifications that actually have you arriving early to the gate.

Flyer1976, anileze, icurhere2 and 2 others like this.
  5. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Android App has its own problems. I CXL a reservation for Monday on the prior Thursday but Sunday, 24 hours before the canceled flight, the App buzzes me a notice with its details. :rolleyes:

However, when I brought up the App fearing that my CXL had not taken :eek: , the flight was not listed there.

anileze, Gargoyle and uggboy like this.
  6. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not limited to the Android App.

anileze, Gargoyle and uggboy like this.
  7. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised this thread isn't at least 10 pages long already :rolleyes: :D.

anileze and Gargoyle like this.
  8. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    PHL to FCO. 1 pax. SM redemption attempt...not all of which was in J. 635k SM.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fly a different airline.

10. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Solution is for you to spend more on your Delta Amex. You'll then have that many SkyPesos in a hurry. :D

But seriously, when they go to the fare based awards that may look something like the current PWM, 635K might certainly be the standard for an International J ticket that costs $6350 to buy. :eek:

anileze, redtailshark and Gargoyle like this.
  11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's not a glitch, that is the way they intend the award calendar to function.

Not like when the app beeped me to apologize for my missing my connection and to tell me I'd been protected on a later flight, after I had already boarded the initial connection. :)

anileze, monitor, MX and 1 other person like this.
  12. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    @monitor: yes that was my argument earlier. FUBAR is coming and even that redemption won't seem outrageous for DL SM although of course it will depend on the competition response.
    @gargoyle: muahaha! yes, exactly. In 2010 the multi-tier framework was being tested...preparing for the seismicity of FUBAR. Get ready to go KAYAKing!
    @NYB: I do, all the time...but that won't stop me commenting on DL SM...only the censors at FT believe they can do that....sort of like DL's own "understanding" of social media, come to think of it....

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That live chat popup on delta.com is really getting on my nerves. Whenever I'm booking a flight it constantly pops up right in front of the airport selection dropdown, interfering with mouse action.

USAF_Pride, anileze and monitor like this.
  14. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

Merging two datacenters (MSP & ATL) is never easy. I wonder what part of the IT operations went where, and which CIO (I am guessing it was NW) took over ?

Gargoyle likes this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It took them under a year to do a full merger of two completely different maintenance/parts systems, including critical databases totaling at least 1 million parts. That had to be done not 99.999%, but 100%. Anything less would create a serious safety issue. They did that ahead of schedule.

It did cause maintenance issues one summer a few years ago, as weather and other problems hit right in the middle, and they didn't have repair parts and systems in place. But they recovered pretty quickly.

anileze likes this.
  16. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    The lovely automated system called me three times the other morning morning about a delay on OMA-DTW. The second two came after I'd already rebooked myself on DL.dumb. (The OMA-DTW delay was severe enough on an oversold flight that I ran to my computer and grabbed a good alternative before others started gobbling up all the space ex-OMA.) The automated system then called to inform me of the rebooking I'd done online and made it sound like DL had done the rebooking. At least they were being honest about the the delay, which is more than I can seem to say for UAX.

Gargoyle and anileze like this.
  17. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    When there is an IROP, the automated system usually continues calling to alert you of it long after you have solved the problem. This has been happening for quite a while and does get annoying after a while, especially when it keeps ringing in the airport and even as you just have hung up from having fixed your connection before your first flight has reached the gate. :rolleyes:

Gargoyle and anileze like this.
  18. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, the system has completely dropped all IROP notifications. I have been told twice to unsubscribe and resubscribe, and it doesn't help. I even complained to tech support and they promised to look into it.

No phone calls, no e-mails, no texts. :oops: Only notifications on the Fly Delta app if I have my ipad going.

David

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received a strange post-flight survey after completing a BE ticket as a DM.

There were questions about whether I was aware of EC, whether I was seated in EC, and why not. There was a drop down menu with about ten choices, but it did not include the obvious response that I was already seated in BE as I had purchased a BE ticket. Then DL asked whether I would be willing to purchase EC, to which I responded NO because DL offers free EC to me as a published DM benefit.

During the trip, my intraEU AF flight posted a half-hour delay and I needed a supervisor to let me check in as there had been a message that I would miss my TATL flight, but I had a 22 hour layover before the TATL flight. The computer couldn't understand that my connecting flight was the next day, although even without the delay, I would have missed the supposed same-day connection since minus two hours violates MCT. The agent initially scared me by saying that my flight wasn't valid. She even started to explore how to rebook me before I could emphasize to her that my connection was the next day.