DL is the World's most admired airlines?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by JALPak, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you agree with this? :eek:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ompanies-airline-industry-list-117341653.html

2. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a business? I think what Delta has done has been extraordinary. They pulled off a difficult merger rather seamlessly. They have dramatically changed the financial picture for the airline. They are pushing forward with an ambitious refurbishment plan for their fleet. They continue to have labor relations that are among the best in the industry. All in all, I think they have turned themselves into an airline that other airlines take very seriously as a competitor.

BondAir007 and JALPak like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    NOT from a customer service perspective.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a Fortune magazine poll, so it's surely from the perspective of top executives and investors. The merger didn't go as badly as it could have (although not thinking about the need for mechanics experienced in particular aircraft at certain stations as the fleet was being repositioned seems pretty bad to me) in that there was no total operations meltdown and so far DL has won their unionization votes. On balance DL is overall doing extremely well compared to what could have happened. Also, so far their capacity cuts and yield management algorithm seem to be successful.

JALPak likes this.
  5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which airline doesn't have a significant number of people who hate them because of a single bad CS experience?

6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on the criteria involved, this is not unreasonable. DL ranked top two in every category except financial soundness (3) and quality of products/services (7).

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. It seems any time I fly DL there are delays. I have no status with them and they definitely are not helping me make my connections.[​IMG]

JALPak likes this.
  8. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't disagree more. Customer service is WHY I choose Delta.
    I guess you are just a glass is 3/4 empty kind of poster. I think the merger went about as well as mergers go and in the airline industry I am sure will be used as the model of how to do it after the HP/US deal.
    Delta has many ways to help a "no status" person. automatic rebookings, kiosks, automatic printing stations, Twitter, now Facebook...all other options than seeing an agent which you can still do and they will help the best they can.

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is your status with Delta?

10. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure he is a DL Diamond given his "Indiana Delta Diamond" moniker.

Tkey and Indiana Delta Diamond like this.
  11. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I'm not a "The glass is 3/4's empty person" and all I can say is airlines like SQ, CX, Emirates and a few others must really be pulling the wool over my eyes.

DL is OK in general but all of their recent moves devaluing FF miles, jacking up award redemption requirements, patience-stretching ability to find award tickets and lack of visibility into partner awards really leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I try and book one trip a year after spending a pretty decent amount annually. If miles and award tickets are supposed to be a benefit, it should be a benefit that you can use without too much duress.

Typical disclaimer.... just my smelly little opinion.

Bikeguy, n301dp, Tkey and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but if that is the case, there should be more exclusivity in attaining the means to book one. As it is, meaning they give miles out like candy, it almost has to be a needle in a haystack situation or they'd be giving away the farm.

13. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    From a Fortune perspective yes- Making as much $ as possible while giving as little to customers and employees as possible.

Yep, Delta takes the cake.

Bikeguy likes this.
  14. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you think any other airline has other aspirations you are going to be profoundly disappointed.

joejones and RedTape like this.
  15. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised actually that DL has completed the merger as well as they have. BUT, the FF program was enough to make me leave ST for *A. DL has generally been good to me from a CS perspective. If only the Sky Clubs were like the NWA lounges and the miles were worth ANYTHING.

secretsea18 likes this.
  16. EJRoss

EJRoss Active Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. I used to be elite on Northwest but for me everything had gone downhill since the merger. Long lines at airport check in, poorer service on the plane and unusable ff miles. I am using up my miles and now fly Star Alliance airlines.

secretsea18 likes this.
  17. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    From a corporate perspective, however, the merger is pretty much a model for airline mergers to follow. Yes, there's a lot of grousing from those of us who used to primarily fly NW, but things could have been much, much worse. (I really don't have any special affinity for DL, but considering that (1) the places I need to get to most often on my own dime are ATL, BIS, and FAR and (2) I hate RJs, DL is the only game in town.)

RedTape and Travel2Food like this.
  18. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    But isn't the issue that you don't get both high service and a great FF program in one package? SQ, CX, and EK may be high-service airlines, but they are not great FFPs. SQ, for example, dramatically raised redemption rates for their newer premium cabin products. CX has more than their share of partial and no-credit fares on partner carriers. EK has a very limited selection of partners. And I'm not sure that any of the three have greater visibility into partner awards than DL.

If the experience of SQ, CX, and EK tells us anything, it is that a quality product trumps a generous FFP. If the experience of BD (or US or AA) tells us anything, it is that a generous FFP is not the route to a successful airline or a quality in-flight product.

For DL, I think the challenge is whether they compete in markets where product differentiation can lead to a price premium. I have my doubts about whether people are willing to pay a premium for intra-US travel, and I'm not sure that the TATL market, where DL is very strong, is really a great place to hunt for revenue premiums either. DL will have to deliver cost containment, along with product improvements, IMO, to be successful.

19. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    It certainly isn't from a customer's perspective.

20. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I wasn't trying to tie the two elements together. The first paragraph was about quality product. The second was about FF benefits. With that said your points are well stated.

21. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like any airline or even any company, it is hit and miss. The overall general image of the company comes across quite well. Delta has been a good airline even with the problems, they don't have control over. From the Weather, FCC rules, ATC, airport management and others etc...

22. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The people who like delta must now have tried to use the award booking calender. Once we are in the air I have not had a problem with DL . My issues are with JFK T3 and the website (and ff program) .

23. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortune is the same magazine who quoted Soros on the market continuing to rise in 1987.... sustainability of the DL business model would be a much more interesting discussion.

24. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Operationally, yes. Front-and-back facing IT? No. That alone is a huge hinderance across the board.

ATL, BIS and FAR? Can I introduce you to UA? Or AA out of FAR?

25. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, but recall that I said I hate RJs. The E45s and CR1s that UA and AA operate there are horribly unappealing. Also, I hate ORD. I know ATL isn't great, but I know it well. With DL, the majority of flights have F seating, and it's proved a pretty easy upgrade for me even as an FO, and I get to fly through MSP most of the time, which is a lovely airport. (There's also some inertia after being a DL hub captive in ATL for six years. I imagine I'll re-evaluate my take on things when I move back to the US, hopefully in a tenure-track position.)