DL from NY to ?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by RudyA, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RudyA

RudyA Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

newbie here - I have 89,582 DL sky pesos. I am a 20 min drive from Newark and about 45 min to JFK... what is the best way to use my miles? 2 people will be traveling on them unless you guys have better suggestions and from being a long time reader i am sure there will be better suggestions.

my dates are pretty flexible and I'd just like to go somewhere warm/nice

thanks in advance

2. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you trying to stay within the USA or trying to venture out? Are you trying to use the least amount of miles or just a good deal?

3. RudyA

RudyA Active Member

Status Points:
    just looking for good deals - I also have 2 lounge passes good til end of june

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess the question is, do you want to stay in the US of A? We assume you want the 25k award ticket, what status level are you?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you fly from LGA? With the new slots and gates, the expanded service could make award tickets from there have better availability.

6. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Need more information on your intended itinerary.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably save up a few more, but if you want to spend what you have, the most appealing destinations would be in the carribbean and central america or even hawaii. For two people you're looking at coach. Lots of options available.

Alternatives would be to save up to 90 and look for a domestic first award somewhere, or target a more expensive award. How rapidly do you earn, and where would you like to go.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you see an award you want and you don't quite have enough miles, you can purchase some. It's generally not a great deal, but can be worthwhile, especially since the reasonable award ticket can be gone by the time you earn more miles.

9. RudyA

RudyA Active Member

Status Points:
    I can fly from LGA if the deals are better

I have no status on any airline

I guess I'll save up more miles

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi RudyA - Why wait? For two people in economy, you have enough miles to go many different places!

You could consider a quick trip down to Ft Lauderdale, St Thomas or San Juan. Delta has plenty of service to these ports from New York. Though you'd need to connect, San Jose (Costa Rica) could be a nice destination. You'd even have enough miles to go to Hawaii for two if you wanted!

If you're willing to sit in back and are a little flexible on dates, you could go to many different places with the existing DL points that you have.

Subject to award seat availability, miles will be the same from any NYC-area airport on DL.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If OP doesn't have status, it could be hard to get low domestic coach availability.

mattsteg likes this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the very least the carribbean options listed earlier are pretty open and could be booked using skymiles, as per a calendar search using air France's site.

The biggest thing here is that he has enough miles to do whatever he wants in coach within North america down through central America. It's a huge variety of possible awards, but with none of the premium cabin stuff so many of us are biased too. This means no consensus and no "this is an awesome value, do it" posts.

Op: if you want to spend the miles you have close to half a hemisphere to play with. If you're not acquiring miles at a rapid pace, by all means use them. You would likely get more focused questions with a more narrow question or if you shared more of your interests.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  13. RudyA

RudyA Active Member

Status Points:
    I am honestly open to everything and anything. I like traveling just cant afford it too much. So I just look for a good deal and take it.

14. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about hotels? Do you have hotel points?

15. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doubt you're finding a 40k miles ticket from NYC - Hawaii before the lounge passes expire end of June. Looks like there is a flight for 42.5k miles JFK - SJU 6/1 - 6/8. Probably other destinations will be available as well.

16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As always with Delta, the difficulty in getting to Hawaii isn't the ocean-crossing, it's crossing the continent.

SJU is on sale for cheap with cash anyway.

Could do Bogata or some other place in northern S america with just a few more pesos. I don't think availability is difficult to find. bog.jpg

DeltaExpert likes this.
  17. RudyA

RudyA Active Member

Status Points:

18. RudyA

RudyA Active Member

Status Points:
    i have about 80,000 hilton points

i actually got a companion pass on delta mailed to be today for a $99 fee ( comes with amex delta) this should help me also..can i use points and the pass?

19. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forget domestic on DL. Why they're called SkyPesos.

OTOH international, especially Air France or KLM is much easier to get and no fuel surcharges.

Also domestically you may have better luck with DL's partners like Alaska.

I think that $99 companion pass from DL is very restricted as to what fare types (read:expensive) you can use- and certainly not with rewards.

20. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't go outside the lower 48 on the companion ticket

DL allows you to use is it on sLUT tickets (the cheap ones)