DL from almost anywhere to HND $580 a/i through July

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jmrich1432, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haven't done a ton of searching, but DL.com is bringing up RT to HND in June/July for $580 a/i. Great fare for a MR! So far I have searched from MIA, TPA, GNV, MEM & SLC. GNV was slightly higher, all others around $580 ai.

abdulai likes this.
  2. LXJenkins
    Original Member

LXJenkins Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a pretty solid fare.

3. abdulai
    Original Member

abdulai Silver Member

Status Points:
    $593 or $589 from IAD and DCA depending on the dates. Can be routed through ATL in both directions for a few extra miles.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  4. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great fare. $593 a/i from CMH to HND over July 4th weekend. Route via DTW, LAX or ATL :)

If I weren't an AAdict, and had a way to upgrade ;), I just might do it.

You guys think this is an error or just a very very good deal?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good deal, but understandable given the situation in Japan and the new HND routes.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd jump if this were upgradeable and if HND had lounges. IIRC the HND schedules aren't so convenient either.

7. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just came across a PVD-DTW-HND return for $589 r/t, which is not too bad, especially considering flights to Europe are still well over $700

8. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The schedule isn't great looks like you're either landing at 4:55 am or 10:30 pm and leaving at 12:45 am or 6:55 am.... EEEEEKKK

However, this STILL may become my first, official MR. I just don't know if I can resist spending the weekend in Tokyo...
    (and, let's be honest, the 30,000 miles)

The Boat likes this.
  9. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is plenty of reasons to go--as that will put me over the next threshold.

10. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    DTW-HND-DTW wouldn't be too bad. You do get into Tokyo very late, and leave very early, but the upshot of this is that you lose only one day going west, and lose no days going east, whereas the timing of NRT flights and remoteness of the airport usually means you lose two days going west and one day going east. There are a few hotels in the vicinity of HND for less than $100/night, and of course a handful of 24-hour internet cafes and capsule hotels.

The redeye from LAX is obviously tougher, although theoretically better if you can pop an Ambien and get some decent sleep.

The Boat likes this.
  11. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked ATL-LAX-HND-DTW-ATL for $580 over July 4th weekend. Not necessarily the lowest CPM out there, but I haven't been to Tokyo before.

jmrich1432 and The Boat like this.
  12. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at that same exact time period, except via DTW...

13. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like there might be several of us MPers on a run that weekend. That is also my time frame!

14. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
  15. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Darn, it doesn't look like anybody is even close to matching it. All other flights (from DEN at least) are $1k more. What's the likelihood a *A will match this?

16. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess: zero. This is not a "fare war" but simply a tactic to fill up a plane that would otherwise be empty due to awkward timing and poor connections from HND. NH's HND-LAX service is significantly better on both counts so they probably don't need to cut its prices so much.

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? Normally flights US-NRT arrive the next day with a schedule something like midday departure and late afternoon arrival the next day. Returning NRT-US arrives the same day, in fact earlier than departure, with mid afternoon departure and late morning arrival.

If you arrive at HND very late at night, is Tokyo's public transportation still operating or must you pay an enormous amount for a taxi to your hotel?

jmrich1432 likes this.
  18. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would be my first MR, so I just wanted to double-check my math with the experts... (I used milecalc for these numbers)

TPA-DTW-HND 14,820 miles

MQM:14,820
    GM Bonus: 14,820 (100%)
    Haneda Double/Triple miles Promotion: 14,820
    Thank You 75% Bonus (kicks in July 1st): 11,115
    Total redeemable miles: 55,575

I am registered for the Haneda Double/Triple miles Promo (http://dmn.delta.com/ace_offers/haneda/) and for the Thank You promotion (T&C https://dmn.delta.com/offers/twogifts/terms.shtml). The Haneda promo says: "This offer cannot be combined with other Delta/SkyTeam® offers." The Thank You does not (or at least I couldn't find it).

Does anyone know if I will get both promotions? It's still a great MR, and I will be redeeming certifs so my CPM is below 1. Thanks for the input!

19. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found this site....

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2430.html

It does say there is a taxi surcharge after 10pm, which could make the cost as high as $150 US. The trains keep running until just after midnight. Does anyone know about buying tickets though??

20. Considering the overly priced Y,B and M fares, they should be included in the triple bonus category!

21. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fare gone :(

22. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked DCA-DTW-HND over July 4th weekend. Will have 4 full day. This will be my second trip there this year. Wasn't planning on another Japan trip this year, but I could pass up the price. :) To bad the Yen is still so strong against the dollar.

@jmrich1432 I was wondering the same thing about the promos. I need 2 more segments for the Thank You promo and was hoping these would count. I'm thinking I'm just going to fly another trip before that to make sure.

23. EYK
    Original Member

EYK Active Member

Status Points:
    nyc-lax-hnd RT july 4th weekend 4 full days also.

24. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the okay from my office to go and it looks like it is gone.... Super sad face...

25. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I'm remembering the promo correctly, you have to complete the qualifying segments by June 30 and then all segments after July 1 (through the end of the year?) get the bonus.

jmrich1432 likes this.