DL domestic award stopover/routing rules?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by thrashsoundly, Sep 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to maximize a domestic DL award by adding a stopover, but I'm having trouble finding any published rules for routing, valid connections etc for stopover cities. If anyone can point me in the direction of where I can find this info, I'd appreciate it. If it's not published but folks have experience with this topic, I'd appreciate the enlightening. Thanks!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_skymiles/membership_guide_program/award_travel_rules/index.jsp

There is no indication that the rules are different for domestic versus international awards.

thrashsoundly likes this.
  3. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Aren't there stopover routing/connection restrictions for domestic awards that are different than international awards? For an international award, you'd have to follow the MPM and other routing rules to see if you can have a stopover, but my in my searches on EF, I haven't seen MPMs listed for domestic city pairs.

I read somewhere that you could only have a stopover only on a "valid connection" between cities, but it seemed pretty vague. I imagine that you couldn't for example fly SLC-FCA (stopover)-MSP-JFK(destination)-SLC on one award, because I can't imagine Kalispell, MT is a "valid connection" point from SLC to JFK.

Is this even the rule? If so, is there a place that states valid connections between city pairs?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that you'll have trouble putting the stop in anywhere which is not on the published routing rules. MPM definitely doesn't apply on domestic flights.

thrashsoundly likes this.
  5. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's what I figured. Is there an easy ready reference where these routing rules can be found?

6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use ExpertFlyer. The consensus is that the full fare F routing rules (or the most generous) for a given city pair are what governs award routings (even for economy awards). You definitely need to use published routings. You are also limited to two connections (three segments) each way for domestic awards. (It's three connections/four segments each way for international.)