DL destroys Sky"TEAM" rationale...

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Dec 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hahaha! New DL SM "earnings" chart for "partner" airlines in the "seamless" alliance... e.g. 50% RDMs on lower fare classes on AM, AZ R class to 25%; both "Group 1" partners; then zero RDMs on some KE classes as well as zero MQMs across the board.

Now with an increasingly worthless program, it will not be too long before we see a seismic swing towards AA initially, but as they resciss AAdvantage, then to WN, B6, VX and even NO and FR.

Bear in mind, howling DL loyalists, that Senor Jeff did you all a favor by actually posting this chart AHEAD OF ITS IMPLEMENTATION! And hey, he's only halfway to FUBAR...

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/arrival-of-fubar-how-imminent.67149/

Can you say...truly...

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

Flyer1976 and BamaGirl like this.
  2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Peso Air.

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's actually very similar to AA if you buy under the partner's flight number. Cathay discount economy doesn't accrue any miles while Qantas is 50% and JAL can be as low as 30%. If you buy the AA codeshare you'll get 100% miles, but those tend to price higher in my experience. One of the major exceptions is BA where you get the same miles you'd get on an AA flight.

redtailshark likes this.
  4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you are correct, it's true that the DL SM partner earning structure now more closely resembles that of AAdvantage. To novices, it might appear the programs are similar... But... we're not novices. Earning is only half of the value proposition of the FFP. Redeeming is the other.

Everyone here knows those DL SM miles do not in any way approximate the high value of those AA miles.... just yesterday I redeemed using AAdvantage for Shark fam. One way, EU-US. Ticketed AY in J at peak summer TATL time, at SAVER level, for multiple pax and the itins include the A321T J cabin for the domestic sector. Yes, J-all-the-way.

Let me know when (and how!) you can engineer a similar DL SM itin for 50k miles per person in late July....

Also, 7k AAdvantage for two days of peak-time car rental at EWR...DL SM wants north of 30k for the same period. That sums it up. Yes, I know, AAdvantage are too valuAAble to use on car rentals but I'm just illustrating the comparative redemption value.

5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You also get 100% on Finnair and Iberia (US to Spain). One new major change to AA in 2015 is that Platinum gets 100% bonus RDM miles.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am really looking forward to next year with the DL program. I have long been frustrated with flying on $5,000+ transcon J fares earning 15k miles round trip (ignoring CC spend) while others with high status on cheapo fares earn 10k miles sitting in back. My travel is the one that makes the flight profitable for the carrier, not the pax traveling 5,000 miles round trip on a $500 ticket. Now, I'll be earning 45k+ miles (plus cc spend).

In DL's estimate to me comparing my travel this year in the old and new program, I would have earned roughly 4x more under next year's scheme on this year's travel.

This is causing me to move my high revenue business from American to Delta. I like AA a bunch too....but this is a pretty powerful difference in my favor.

I know I'm in the minority, but many pax who travel on business need to take the lowest fare...so if DL needs to fill seats, they can still do that through low end fare cuts. While many here are "up in arms" and there is talk of "seismic" shifts, a far smaller number actually have much say in their selection of carrier.

Several other high rev pax I know are also moving their business over to DL for 2015.

While I also lament the zero MQMs on KE (and DL won't sell me a F ticket on KE), there are solutions...such as flying NH on routes to ICN! ;)

chaz4449 and Sammich like this.
  7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    @NYBanker, how would rate DL's service in comparison with AA's?

NYBanker likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your money, or your employer's money? And would your rather trade with the guys in the back? ;)

chaz4449, Sammich and NYBanker like this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm the owner of my company...so it is my dough either way. I also travel for leisure in the forward cabin. Sometimes paid, sometimes award travel.

I don't follow this.

HaveMilesWillTravel and Sammich like this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    While all domestic travel is highly crew-specific, I find DL and legacy-AA to generally be pretty comparable. I find the premium pax experience on the two to be a half notch ahead compared to UA and a full notch compared to legacy-US. While there have been some meal cuts in the post-US world, other than that, not a lot of other changes that impact me.

On the transcon, AA has the three cabin plane which is nice...and when you sit in first, a lot of the airport experience is much more split from the broader population, which can be nice. For non-transcon service, it is pretty much a wash both on the ground an in the air between AA and DL.

Sammich likes this.
  11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree you deserve more from Delta. You do pay far more than me. Just wished (pointless) that the cost was used to calculate a extra bonus on top of the distance rather than cost becoming the baseline. Still, Delta is a for profit entity so while I may not like it, I do understand the logic process.

Meanwhile, my March trip is 21k ++ in MQM (V). In 2014, I would have gotten almost 43k in miles. In 2015, it is about 6k in miles as a Platinum Medallion. Painful adjustment.

NYBanker likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is just a transition. Many hotel programs have been revenue-based since inception...

WilliamQ and Sammich like this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know. It hurts because it tasted so sweet in the past.

Sammich likes this.
  14. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    But I will still fly them for now.

Sammich likes this.
  15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're getting more business from me now.

WilliamQ and Sammich like this.
  16. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Emphasis added. :p

WilliamQ likes this.
  17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks though for helping to subsidize my tickets. I should buy you one if we ever meet up :)

or will you accept my many Delta drink chits in lieu. They just sit there doing nothing. Sometimes I give them to my seat mates for the thrill of making new friends. And it sounds so good whenever I say can I get you a drink?

NYBanker likes this.
  18. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm everyone wants to buy NYB drinks now...

NYBanker and WilliamQ like this.
  19. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always a smart choice to be friends with bankers. Never know when you need one. :) and @NYBanker is a nice person. What's there not to like.

NYBanker and Sammich like this.
  20. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should change my handle to SEABanker and watch the drinks come in :p

NYBanker and WilliamQ like this.
  21. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just occurred to be a Singapore based banker is then SINBanker? :)

NYBanker likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The point is really irrelevant since you spend your own money. The question was (assuming your employer pays $5k for your F seat), whether you'd rather sit in the back and earn proportionally more points for someone else's spend or whether you'd rather have the comfortable seat on someone else's dime and get fewer points (proportionally to spend). Since it's your money, you can have the cake and eat it, too, though :)

(I bet that didn't make it more clear... sigh... gotta go pack for tomorrow's trip in the back paid by my employer)

NYBanker likes this.
  23. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)

24. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Only trip this year paid for with OPM... on a Saturday... over the ocean... in coach... on United! (okay, I admit at least I get E+/exit row). Guess I am a dedicated employee.

Note to self: don't forget the drink chits.

What was this thread about again?