DL.com Canceled Tickets Stay Open and Available for Checkin?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by ballardFlyer, Mar 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone noticed that when you cancel a DL flight within 24 hrs of purchase now and then do the silly "apply for a refund" the flight coupon stays open until the refund processes several days or weeks later? I'm finding if you make a cancellation within a few days of departure the new refund system is so slow that it looks like can still fly on the ticket.

For example, on a canceled ticket, I was able to checkin completely online, print boarding passes, etc. Then I could see myself on the upgrade list online, etc. The receipt showed open on the coupon status. Weird.

I'm weirded out by this situation - I'd rather have the money refunded back like I requested last week vs being able to fly on this ticket. Anyone else seen this?

This is not the first Delta.com or other IT issue post new site launch, but wow if this is true it is a huge breakdown in their automated biz processes.

iolaire likes this.
  2. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am waiting for the post where someone canceled their ticket, requested a refund and proceeded to try to flew anyway and reports back that:
    (a) They are appalled that Delta refused their refund as they flew at least one segment of the ticket (okay, maybe those on this BB would not be appalled).​
    or​
    (b) The passenger was denied boarding at the gate as the ticket was canceled (or the ticket barcode failed at TSA and were required to succumb to a private screening​
    or​
    (c) Everything went swimmingly, completed a round trip, received a full refund and mileage credit (redefining cost per mile).​

3. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a to-be-unnamed BB that would have a 15 page meltdown thread over it for sure. Definitely entertaining to say the least.

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was only posting that I thought it was odd and a definite change from old DL where canceled tickets couldn't even be viewed once canceled. Now they hang online forever and refunds take forever. It was more of a DL.com IT bug to me.

The quirk is the last ticket was canceled before midnight PST, but I'm wondering now if the underlying issue is that "risk free cancel" now only runs to midnight EST. I suggest this because I canceled it at 9:05 PST and it hung around online without a refund. On the old site, I canceled many at 10-11 pm PST without issue and fast refund. Maybe the web servers moved to ATL or something? Only time will tell - they have another 7-21 days to issue their slow refund.

iolaire likes this.
  5. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that DL's world revolves around ATL.

6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fixed it for you. :p

USAF_Pride likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but once I asked a DM phone agent about this specifically. I was told that if I were to call, there would be no problem cancelling up to midnight SLC time, MDT/MST.

8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes never had a problem canceling even online before even when it was more than 24+ hrs as long as cancel was before midnight PST.

Can't say for sure if anything has changed. The whole thing is more of a .com bug to me. But curious.

9. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thinking is 24 hours after I book it. I figure I am safe at that point!!

10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It used to be up to midnight pst the day after your purchased. It now appears it may be be 24 hrs after you booked it, but I can't confirm that 100%.

I actually ended up flying one of these canceled tickets because I hadn't gotten the refund yet and didn't want to waste the $$$. It was fine - no problems and all miles credited.

Then several days after I flew (and a couple weeks after I canceled), the refund dept finally processed my original cancellation request and told me they wouldn't refund my ticket since it was now completely used. That is completely expected and fair - I'm glad they have their act together in this respect.

My only remaining question is if they would have refunded it if I hadn't flown this one because it was canceled at the 25 hr mark.

I also wish their previous automated IT refund system had not been replaced by a 7-14 day human based system with their new website. It seems like a real step backwards to me.

11. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are lucky as I have had the 30-45 day system. At that point I had about $6k in revenue tickets booked, I basically told the supervisor's supervisor that all those tickets were going to be cancelled and I was going to book them on AA. Refund happened the next day (this was over $40 from four Award Tickets).