DL Changes Checked Bag Fees

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Jun 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    AJC: Delta Changes Checked Baggage Fees

Not good for customers...:eek:...of course, we know DL is the maestro of fees.

I find it interesting that the justifcation for removing the online payment discount is because other carriers do not do the same. What happened to (a little) competitive advantage versus being like the rest?

UA the 2nd international bag fee as well.
    :(

2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I'm displeased about is dropping the international elite bag weight from 70lb to 50lb according to this. Someone on FT reported that a DL agent told him/her the +1 rule will mean medallions doing US-EU could take 3x50lb instead of 2x70lb. However, I really don't find anywhere that's made clear (and suspect it's likely wrong).

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked at that link (again) and just called the DM desk to as as well. The agent said too/from the EU Medallions get 2 x 50lbs in Y and 3 x 70lbs in J. Fortunately, I rarely travel with more than 50lbs between two bags.

4. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had a few TATL trips where my checked bag exceeded 50lbs. I'll have to be more careful next time.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - now that we know. :) My sister usually brings about 55-60lbs of stuff with her when she visits the UK...American things I cannot get here...lol...of course, she takes home about that much in tea, chocolate and other "must haves."

6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed not having to care if I was over 50lb. This is not great for those of us who live on the opposite site of the pond as where "home" is. I need to get some Jif peanut butter into my suitcase on Sunday (hate British peanut butter) and am glad that I had plenty of weight clearance when I left the UK. If I'm moving back to the US in 2012, I was hoping to be able to take 2x70lb with me on the plane instead of 2x50lb. (Predicated on my fellowship sponsors booking me on ST, and having extra baggage allowance would be a piece of leverage I'd have to get them to book me on my preferred carrier.) Can't say this makes me happy at all, especially the lack of communication about it.

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sent you a message on FT...I may have a solution to your need for JIF! :)

8. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    actually, for normal folk, that fee is reduced now....

All Transatlantic Travel - Overweight Baggage Charges
    Key change: Fee reduced from 150USD/CAD/EUR

• Overweight baggage weighing 51 lbs. up to 70 lbs. will be charged a fee of 75 USD/CAD/EUR per piece

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, but I never had to pay the fee in the past. :)