DL Canada to East Asia Deals. YUL/YYZ/YVR/YHZ -> HKG/ICN/NRT/PEK

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Muerl, May 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    For almost a day and a half you could book a round trip on Alaska/Delta out of most Canadian cities to several cities in Asia for about $400, around 3 cents a mile. I just find that amazing, almost as amazing and newsworthy as the rebranding of the Barclays Arrival card. I booked a 4 day weekend in July to Hong Kong out of Calgary, which in itself is most worthy as a summer destination. I am going to speculate that there was some sort of partial fuel dump going on here, most of the really good fares had Alaska Airlines as the connecting airline both ways between Seattle and Canada. The fares in the somewhat higher $500 range usually had Alaska as just one connection and Delta through SLC as another with a higher YR. The seatmap of the direct Seattle to Hong Kong Delta flight I booked had no occupied seats at all in business or EC, and maybe a dozen in coach. Other days I looked at had a similar empty business section and maybe 1 or 2 seats in EC. Flights connecting through NRT appeared more solidly booked. Thus, by mileage running, I am contributing revenue to Delta that they would not otherwise have gained on an almost empty flight. I'm sure Richard Anderson anonymously reads this forum in his spare time and would thank me if he could.

deltagoldLass, anileze and Muerl like this.
  3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was amazed I didn't see it until today. I also was amazed none of the major bloggers mentioned it. I don't think there was a dump, I saw plenty of routings <$500 out of YUL/YYZ on all DL metal.

-EDIT-

There are still SOME fares out there : YVR-SEA-HND-ICN-HND-SEA-YVR Nov 8th-25th
    Link goes to Orbitz Working at 10pm EST

Last edited: May 14, 2014