DL Business First

Discussion in 'SeatExpert' started by SteveCMI, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SteveCMI

SteveCMI Active Member

Status Points:
    Ok, don't blast me for not remembering the source, getting senile, but I heard somewhere that DL was redesigning their business first product again and it is to memic Emirates. Has anyone heard anything official on this?

2. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not know about Emirates but eh 77Ls have already been configured with a nice herringbone li-flat configuration with extremely comfortable seats and it appears that the 330s are next for these seats.

Also, most of the 764s have been reconfigured with a staggered lie-flat configuration and according to DL, it is planned that the rest of them will be finished this year along with many of the 763s. Those now sport the least desirable business class seats in the industry and it is about time. DL's original design was IMO defective and they are now completely obsolete.

3. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    By Summer 2011, flat-bed seating should be available on the following Delta routes:
    JFK to:
    London LHR, Berlin, Budapest, Madrid, Nice, Moscow, Venice (Jun 15 - Jul 15), Milan MXP, Amman, Cairo

DTW to:
    London LHR, Frankfurt, Beijing, Seoul ICN, Hong Kong

ATL to:
    London LHR, Frankfurt, Munich, Madrid, Rome (from 15 July), Tel Aviv, Dubai, Johannesburg, Tokyo NRT, Shanghai PVG, Sao Paulo

MSP to:
    London LHR

BOS to:
    London LHR

MIA to:
    London LHR

LAX to:
    Sydney

NRT to:
    Hong Kong

BeachMiles and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew ATL-TLV yesterday in a 77L and, for me, the seats were very comfortable. Knowing monitor's size, I can confirm that they would also be a pleasure for him.

That said, however, they were a bit narrow and I tend to doubt that a POS will find them very comfortable, especially when they are in the flat position and the passenger is jammed in on both sides above the waist.

6. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about DL 82 ( I think) JFK to NCE ( Nice , France) we'd like to go in Sept 2011 , but might wait for the new seats. Sept 2010 still old seats in BE.

Horse likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, the name of the enhanced business class DL product (two-class aircraft) is Business Elite, abbbreviated BE, not Business First which I think is the name used by CO. Note that some international flights offer business class and not BE, such as the "shorter" flights to Latin America, while US-Canada flights offer regular domestic FC service (or coach-only RJs). On PMNW it was called World Business Class (WBC) and was introduced ten or fifteen years ago when NW eliminated IFC first on TATL and later on TPAC routes.

There are four BE set types currently in use on long-haul wide-body DL aircraft:

the herringbone lie-flat seats on the 777-LRs

the staggered lie-flats on the 767-400s

the angled lie-flat WBC seats on 747s and A330s

the cradle seats on 767-300s and 777-ERs

As mentioned in other posts, some of these aircraft are already in the process of being renovated and reconfigured while others are scheduled for updates over the next few years.

8. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DL82 JFK-NCE goes flat-bed 764 starting Jun 14 2011. It is scheduled to run until near the end of October, but they may downgauge back to the 763ER (recliner BE seats) in the fall, like they did last year (was supposed to run into October, but back to the 763ER on Sept 1, 2010) due to softening demand.

9. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have my first ever trip with Lie-Flat seating coming up next month, MSP-LHR. Initially I was booked MSP-BOS-LHR but there was an aircraft change which did not have lie-flat. DL called me to ask if I specifically booked my flight around the seating and when I answered yes, they rebooked me direct from MSP so I could still enjoy the seats. Obviously I was pleased to be flying direct at no additional charge AND the fact that DL was pro-active.

10. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Update @May 2011:
    Due to the delays in the 763ER flat-bed conversions, JFK-TXL/BUD will not be getting the flat beds this summer. Obviously AMM and CAI won't be either since they have been suspended indefinitely. From JFK, the only flat beds will be to LHR, MXP, MAD, NCE (now starting June 1), and VCE (Jun 15 - July 15).
    Other changes to my list (from post #4), obviously now that HND will be 777s, both DTW-HND and LAX-HND will also get flat-bed BE seats....

deltagoldLass and Gargoyle like this.