DL BOS-ATL-PBI and return, great trip to Florida

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by N670DN, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to my TR and thanks for reading. I booked this trip in November for $270.80 and this is the 3rd time that I am traveling completely by myself.

This is very long - thank you and enjoy!

violist likes this.
  2. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was a day I was looking forward to for a long time. I woke up at 4am, took a shower, and got ready to go. I was essentially 98% packed on Saturday night. I had a tight work schedule (we get paid every 2 weeks with being paid the week before I leave and being paid again the day after I get back) so I wanted to get as much hours as possible. Yes, I did work 5pm-9pm the night before I went on vacation. I thought I was going to get little to none sleep anyway since it was the night before departure. I actually did sleep well for the most part, which I was awake briefly at 2am. My mom works in Boston and she liked the fact that she was avoiding the traffic during rush hour but she didn’t want to leave that early. We left at 5:15am or so, 30 minutes later than when I wanted to leave. Anyway she dropped me off at the airport at about 5:50am. I already had my mBP’s downloaded and ready to go. I got BPs printed from the kiosks. The regular line for the ticket counter was completely empty, and all of the agents were socializing. I was heading to what I thought was a long line at TSA at 5:56am. Where I entered brought a much shorter wait than the other entrance. The TSA agent who was checking my BPs noticed that I had the mBP and said “Oh, you got one of those suckers” and found another agent with a machine to take the mBP. He also checked my paper ones as I had them in hand. He asked me where I was going, if I had packed my own bags, been in my sole possession since packing, etc. I know it was just a part of his job but he maintained a nice attitude, like he wants the passengers to feel like he’s just trying to be friendly.

[​IMG]

Flight board by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

I walked into the line where the FBS is. I had my stuff all ready to go in a reasonable time and I was actually done and waiting for one person ahead of me to go through the FBS. The woman who was running the metal detector on the other side pulled me through on her side since I was ready to go. After going through I went back to the other side to get my belongings. There was a line barrier set up so that the people exiting the FBS would not be able to immediately collect their belongings. I was on the innermost part of that small area where I grabbed my stuff off as soon as it was out and the barrier was right behind me. I was in nobody’s way. As I was about 80% done with getting myself re-assembled this lady (50s or so, definitely a kettle because the TSA lady who was looking at the stuff in the scanner yelled at her for putting stuff over her laptop) comes right next to me, and says “In the future you can do that over there” and points to the benches 20 feet away. She said it in such an arrogant manner that it really got me mad. I said “mhmm” in the feeling of “I don’t care what you have to say because you don’t know what you’re talking about.” Again I was never in anybody’s way and a TSA agent in my experience has never told me to move or do something differently. I was so close to starting a verbal argument with her because of her attitude, but we were in TSA so I didn’t want any trouble from TSA.

I then exited and headed down the A7-A12 sector to see how long that DD line was. It looked a bit long so I decided I was going to take the risk of going to the other side and not coming back and if the line at the DD on the other side was long I was going to deal with it. In the past that DD’s line during morning rush is really long. I quickly went to the bathroom before heading to the other side.

[​IMG]

N930DN by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

I discovered that taking the risk was worth it. That line was a few people shorter than the other side’s DD. When I went up there was a manager that was asking loud and proud “Can I get you started with any coffee?” I saw her as taking an expediter role at the store with (I believe) 3 employees working. One was manning the register, another on sandwiches in the back, and another running the sandwiches up/bagging. When the manager asked about the coffee, I said a small hot chocolate. I also got a bacon, egg and cheese wrap as well as a donut. I wasn’t waiting too long for my food, and quickly went over to A14 for departure. There were no other flights on the board at A13 or A15 so our flight had all of those seats and all of that space. I quickly consumed my food and beverage and got ready to board. Overall the GAs did a good job with getting the flight boarded. When there was a cluster of people just standing there like dead ducks in the middle of the area, the GA who was on scanning announced “If you’re not in zone 3 if you could please step aside and let those who are in zone 3 board.” The GA wasn’t mean at all and was very nice and polite about it. There was at least 1 person that was standing there thinking that the people in front of them were in line but they either were in line or they were just standing there in the way. Anyway zone 4 got called, and I went up. Again the GA let me scan my own mBP and I was on my way. My suitcase was a bit overstuffed so a FA decided to take over on getting it in, he put it in sideways. I sat down and discovered there was a 738 with winglets parked at A13 with the jetway attached. I don’t think it’s possible to see the a/c parked at A13 from the terminal. Anyway the flight crew was working to get the flight going on time.

[​IMG]

gate lice BOS-ATL A14 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]

738 at A13, aboard N930DN by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

3. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wednesday, February 15th, 2012

DL1501
    BOS-ATL
    MD-90 N930DN (1st MD-90 flight)
    20A
    BOS Gate departure: Gate A14, Departed on schedule at 7:15am
    BOS Takeoff: Scheduled 7:38am, Actual 7:33am (+5)
    ATL Landing: Scheduled 9:58am, Actual 9:57am (+1)
    ATL Gate arrival: Gate A7, Scheduled 10:26am, Actual 10:12am (+14)

The a/c marshal that was at the left wingtip was ready to go when all of a sudden I could see him running towards the front landing gear, as the a/c was moving forward for a second. We got stopped and then shortly after we got moving. The FAs were almost done with the safety demo by the time that we were stopped waiting for forward movement. We got moving forward and went on the taxiway right next to the cargo center as a US a/c pushed from the B21 sector. We made a right turn to cut off the B6 NYJ A320, and then I saw the B6 Boston Red Sox A320 heading for 4R or 9 as well. The Red Sox a/c and another a/c were on the taxiway in between the 4/22 runways and both took off from 9. We and the subsequent a/c behind us took off from 4R. We had a steep climb out of 4R and quickly got up to 10k. Snack/drink service was normal, since this was DL1501 an odd flight number the FAs started from the back. They like FEBO but personally I don’t. It was a normal service. We were going in fast to ATL and being close to final approach I saw a football field with NMHS on the end zones which was obviously a high school football field with the building nearby the school itself. A few seconds later we turned a little bit more right and saw the ATL. We were at that moment heading west. I figured from that point we’d be pulling in on 8L. The LFA was very brief with the arrival announcement which was disappointing. This crew was probably PMNW because of their overall interest in communication. They didn’t do anything wrong, I’ve had worse crews. We eventually did land on 8L and headed towards A7 for arrival. We ended up behind 3 or 4 a/c that were from the A-odd gates, and all had pushed from their gate but not yet had forward motion. We would’ve been earlier but we still got in early.

[​IMG]

Concourse B ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]

N930DN arr BOS-ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

4. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Layover in ATL Part 1
    [​IMG]

Gate lice A4 ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

I was out of the MD-90 and into ATL before we were scheduled to park (I was out 10:24am) and with an even longer layover in ATL it was time to walk around. Like the last time I went down to ATL with a long layover, I went to Concourse E since it is dead around there during the day. Concourse A is a zoo at all hours of the day in my experiences. Concourse B is busy but I find it not as busy as A. I like going to Concourse E because it is so quiet around there. The only domestic departures/arrivals out of Concourse E are when the a/c is coming from/going to an international destination. I personally think DL should bring more domestic flights to Concourse E. There’s really no harm in it. No need to clog up Concourses T, A, and B so much if there is more space in E. Anyway I got a bunch of pictures from E. From there I went back to Concourse A.

[​IMG]

Gate crowd KE 773 ATL-ICN by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]

5. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    M88 Concourse E ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

I have heard good things about it, so I decided to try Chick-Fil-A near A10. The wait was a little bit longer than I expected but it was alright. I really enjoyed the food. They had the new era drink machine that I first saw at a 5 Guys in Scottsdale, AZ that has like 100 different drink flavors and such. It’s a really awesome machine. Anyway from there I went to a nearby window to eat and watch what was going on. After that I went to B1 for departure so I could charge my batteries before boarding.

Chick-Fil-A, KATL A10
    Earned
    Possible
    Percentage

Menu
    86.6666667%
    Wait for food
    80%
    Food
    97.5%
    How food is sized for meal
    80%
    Staff at restaurant
    90%
    Order Accuracy
    0%
    Bonus
    TOTAL
    83.1578947%

[​IMG]
    Chick-Fil-A by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

Long story short if my sandwich was made correctly they would’ve had a 96 or above. I asked for only lettuce and mayo, it came with cheese and pickles (I know they mass-produce the same sandwich and just put it in the bag.)

[​IMG]
    N933DN ATL-DCA by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

When I got to B1, there was N507US about to depart for DFW. Shortly after that a/c pushed N502US pulls in from TPA. I was at the charge station closest to the window. I last flew N502US BOS-ATL in April last year at night where I nearly misconnected due to lazy GAs in BOS.

[​IMG]
    N507US ATL-DFW by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    M88 B3 ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

8. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL768
    ATL-PBI
    757-251 (75N) N502US (2nd time on this a/c)
    23A
    ATL Gate departure: Gate B1, Scheduled 1:55pm, Actual 1:54pm (+1)
    ATL Takeoff: Scheduled 2:06pm, Actual 2:15pm (-9)
    PBI Landing: Scheduled 3:25pm, Actual 3:32pm (-7)
    PBI Gate arrival: Gate C4, Scheduled 3:41pm, Actual 3:37pm (+4)

[​IMG]
    N502US B1 ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    N502US parked B1 ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

I was on board and trying to get my overhead in the bin. I did overstuff it just a little bit. I thought if it fit in a M90 overhead it would fit in an ex-NW 757 bin. But, one of the FAs pulls me all the way to the back galley and gives me one of the plastic bags that they use for trash. She tells me to put a few things in there. I put a few clothing items in there and she takes my bag and puts in that private compartment on the right side just before the lavatories at the 3 doors. She didn’t want to embarrass me either. I appreciated that.

We pushed 1 minute early and got on our way. There is nothing really much to report except for the fact that we took off of 9L. The queue was short when we were taxiing out but as soon as we got going I could see the line behind us. It’s a 1 hour 20 minute flight so it shouldn’t be all that eventful. During the beverage/snack service one FA was running it from the front by himself then eventually a 2nd cart with the other 2 FAs came from the back. Other than that we took it straight in heading east just like I have done before. We landed on 10L and then pulled right into C4. There already was a bit of a gate lice crowd as DL768 was the turnaround to ATL with the same flight number. I assume all DL flights from ATL-PBI have a turn with the same flight number, except for the a/c that stay overnight in PBI.

[​IMG]
    Inop seats N502US by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

When I went back to get my suitcase, I noticed these seats with inop stickers on them. When I was on this a/c in April of last year, the 1st overhead bin on the left side in Y was inop.

[​IMG]
    N502US arr ATL-PBI by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

10. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stay in Florida

[​IMG]
    097 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    098 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

There really isn’t much to say about my stay in Florida. One day we went on a bus trip for the day to Lion Country Safari in West Palm Beach. You get off one exit south of PBIA on I-95 and head west for a while. It is a drive-thru animal park where there are so many different animals such as giraffes, zebras, monkeys, etc. That is where they live and they will cross the road right in front of your car.

[​IMG]
    2 bad park jobs by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    101 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    102 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

Stils likes this.
  11. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  14. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  15. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  17. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  18. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  19. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  20. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  21. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  22. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
  23. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    109 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    100 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

On Monday, we went to the beach. It was a nice day to be there, not too packed and not too hot.

[​IMG]
    167 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

The day before I left my grandpa and I went out for lunch since my grandma was not feeling well. We went to Lindburgers which is a local restaurant with an aviation theme behind it. It has a contemporary feel in it with modern paintings based off of old-school aviation. It had a nice vibe in it.

Lindburgers, Delray Beach, FL
    Earned
    Possible
    Percentage
    Wait to be seated
    80%
    Table/seat cleanliness/comfort
    70%
    Atmosphere
    100%
    Menu
    86.6666667%
    Wait for food
    80%
    Food
    95%
    How food is sized for meal
    90%
    Staff at restaurant
    80%
    Order Accuracy
    70%
    Bonus
    TOTAL
    89.1666667%

Their menu was mainly burgers, and there were like 60 types that were just different toppings. The basic burger that had lettuce, tomato, and onions was the “truck stop”which was what I got. Many onions on it, however it didn’t have any mayonnaise which the menu said it would come on the side.

And the night before I leave…

[​IMG]
    168 by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

That concludes the stay in Florida.

24. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Up at 7:30am on Thursday morning, it was the day I was going back home. We were originally scheduled for a normal 752. I checked in online and decided to pay the $19 to go from being in 25F to 20F. Sometime on Wednesday afternoon, after I checked in, there was an equipment swap and instead we got a 75X with EC. I still had 20F assigned to me but because of the EC, 19DE is the bulkhead, 20F is the window with no seat in front of it and is legally a bulkhead with room to get directly out to the aisle right by 2R.

I was on the way to PBI. I left at 8:25am or so, the DL app said 1134 was awaiting takeoff in ATL, being on-time for 8:20am push from ATL. I checked the app again when I was closer to the airport, it said it was boarding, ETA 10:46am in PBI. The turnaround to ATL was still on time.

By the time I had gone through TSA and was just getting my belongings I got a call from the regular DL phone number with a generic page about the flight being delayed. 1134 was now delayed 30 minutes to leave at 11:30am. ETA in ATL 1:24pm at A26, my connection was leaving at 1:51pm from B14. I needed to eat in ATL. I called as soon as I had myself reassembled post-security. The phone agent was helpful, she asked me if I was comfortable with being rebooked on a later connection right then (about 9:15am) and I said yes, she got me booked on the 3:15pm flight out of ATL with the "best window seat available" which was 30A on that M88.

[​IMG]
    PBI C2 tarmac by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    PBI central tarmac by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    M88 PBI-LGA by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    N694DL just arriving PBI by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Gate lice PBI-LGA by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

25. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL1134
    PBI-ATL
    757-232 (75X) N694DL (1st time on an a/c that got winglets that were not on when delivered – I’ve been on Airbuses and such)
    20F in EC seat but not marketed as EC
    PBI Gate departure: Gate C3, Scheduled 11:00am, Actual 11:37am (-37)
    PBI Takeoff: Scheduled 11:13am, Actual 11:49am (-36)
    PBI Landing: Scheduled 12:37pm, Actual 1:10pm (-33)
    PBI Gate arrival: Scheduled 12:49pm, Actual 1:24pm (-35)

By the time the GAs were there at 10:15am or so there was already a long line of people wanting to be rebooked, etc. I got in the line a little after 10:30am because the kiosk didn't recognize that I was on 1400 ATL-BOS leaving at 3:15pm. It only had me on 1134 leaving PBI. I am a pretty patient person for the most part and I didn't mind being in the line for a while considering the boarding process was beginning.

When zone 1 was called (which I was in because of the $19 move-up) this lady (early 50s) who was on the carpet anyway rolled up because she thought she could and the GA could see from 5 feet away that she had a zone 4 BP and told her it was zone 1 only. She backed off a bit but decided she didn't need to leave the SP carpet. She literally sat on the SP carpet, leaning on the line barrier, sipping whatever she got from Starbucks
    This is the lady:
    [​IMG]
    DYKWIA by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

After the GA politely gave me the BPs and took the kiosk one which had a TSA signature on it, I went to board. There was still a cluster of people with the same lady still there. That same lady tried to board again but was rejected again. 10 people or so got rejected before I got on. Then a different lady tried to board too but was rejected and at that time the GA was getting annoyed and asked the GA who was handling all other issues to make an announcement that it was zone 1 only and nobody should be on the SP carpet. Then I let them leave the area as I seemed to be the only one there with some common sense.

[​IMG]

N694DL pre-dep PBI-ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

I got on board and got my stuff stored quickly. I didn't have a seat in front of me so I found a spot on the left side 1 row back for my suitcase and my laptop bag. One FA was in the middle of everything in communication with the FA manning the boarding door and the lead as to how many more bags the overheads could take. All 3 of those FAs made announcements at one point or another before departure. They wanted to get the flight out.

Eventually the GA who gave me the BPs came aboard and another woman who looked like she was a supervisor was onboard too. Apparently there was someone in the back who was seriously allergic to cats who was seated near a cat. Someone back there volunteered to switch before the LFA was about to make an announcement. We got going at 11:37am.

[​IMG]
    Inflight N694DL over Florida by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

Flight service was normal and quick. The male FA walked around to give me my drink from the quick exit instead of handing it over 2 people.

[​IMG]

N694DL arr rwy 28 ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

As if the flight didn't need to be any later, we landed on 28 in ATL, but we did taxi quickly. The LFA asked for people terminating or if you had more than an hour to remain seated. I loved how the LFA mentioned that. Obviously if you have more than an hour you have a lot of extra time. She also mentioned that everyone had been rebooked, check the gate for the next flight to your destination, and take your old BP and you should be fine.

[​IMG]
    N694DL arr PBI-ATL by tjisnumbaone2010, on Flickr

Since I was already rebooked and had more than an hour, I wasn't going anywhere. I got up and went to the lavatory as soon as the door was disarmed and after I was done I sat back down. The captain came out and was saying bye. After a while the captain and the male FA were talking.

Then came the lady who was causing problems during boarding. There was a person with a dog in a carry bag since it was small. The carrier for the dog did not have wheels on it but the owner was dragging like it did. The dog was also partially out of the carrier, with its forward legs out and basically standing, with its rear legs in the carrier. There were 2 people behind the dog owner, and then came the ignorant lady. She then complained to the captain and the FA that the dog should be in the carrier and the lady shouldn't be dragging it. I'm pretty sure it was the captain who said "Well it might be a service animal" and she said back "It doesn't look like a service animal to me" as she was walking out the door. She said it in such a way like it was personally affecting her. Then the FA made a comment to the captain, which I didn't really hear but was probably insulting the rude lady. Then 3 people behind the rude lady, a guy looks at the captain/FA who are still talking about it and says "it is a service animal."

They noticed I was just sitting there and one of them said that I should just make a run for it. So I essentially did that when the time was right and there were not too many people in the back. The gate crew in ATL was doing a good job with preventing gate lice, letting people get off, and helping people with connecting flights. I had some time so I did what I wanted to do instead of grabbing something on the run. I would not have been a happy person if I had 30 minutes or so to get from A26 to B14 without food.

So that basically ends my rant about today. I was really more annoyed with that ignorant lady than anything else. I don't mind the flight delay; I wasn't in a huge rush to get home anyway. I'm a pretty patient person as long as I know why there is a delay and when the departure will be. I did get rebooked so I am happy about that. I already made a complaint online about the fact that nobody ever knew why the flight was late, but commending the GAs in PBI and the flight crew for trying their best.