DL award JFK-CDG-ATH july

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by cotter77, Dec 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    the 2x miles needed for biz seems like a rip off in medium availability, no? at 100k each way in biz i need 400k miles. 50k each way seems like a great deal, whereas 100k each way seems a rip off.

I really want to make this trip on miles with wife next summer but getting from 300k t0 400k is going to be tough for sure (already did fidelity for both of us, DL AMEX x2 for me and MR transfer with bonus and silver status and recent wife transfered 30k for 100% bonus yesterday).

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try looking for availability on AF or KL. Also, you could consider flying to Europe on miles at a low rate if you can find it and then maybe a cheaper intra Europe flight.

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind tix to Europe over the summer are typically very pricey...

4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now you know why DL SM is *best in class.* By the way, Jeff Robertson said that.

Summer tix to the EU may be "pricey" using DL SM but they're not on other FFP.

Try this. Log onto CO.COM and try looking at the CO award calendar for JFK to ATH during the month of July. Every single day has SaverPass availability in J for two people, often with multiple choices of airline...want the LH380, no problem, the SK 332, the TK332/773 etc. The difference in availability is not some small increment, it's literally a different world.

This sight will make you laugh at the effrontery of SM. Or if you've invested too much time/effort/$ into flying DL and using DL and affiliated SM services over the previous year/s in an effort to save SM for such redemptions, it will make you cry.

It's not for nothing that DL SM are widely regarded as worth so much less. Sometimes, they are worth so much less that they are almost worthless.

For those who want viable awards, DL SM is to say the least an uncompetitive program.

Don't be surprised by what you're finding. Or the accommodations that people ask you to make for DL SM's terrible delivery: e.g. "wait for availability to open up [if it ever does, meantime you can't plan]" "call the agents [who are well documented to either not know what partners are available or in many cases to present outright falsehoods about which are SM partners to frustrate your attempts to redeem]" "use a different gateway..at each end... look, AF has two seats from SFO to CDG on July 11th, so then add paid tickets to each hub" etc. [At what point do we make the call, this "reward" program is simply useless? Adding all this time and $ to work with SM's miniscule availability defeats the purpose - you see then how DL SM reverse manages your vacation and all your travel plans, introducing aggravation, delay, layovers, and all sorts of other frictions into your life].

Certainly you may have other reasons to fly DL. You will see that SkyMiles value is not one of them. This problem is well known.

cotter77 likes this.
  5. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for advice.

I def have noticed the huge difference in availability on similar summer dates between CO searches and *A partners vs DL. I have been trying to be quite flexible with my dates too. cant wait until june to book though.
    I just took advantage of those recent promos and i thought i had a chance at the fruit of those labors paying off with DL biz to HER. nonetheless i think i have about 309k SM for about $390 roughly. maybe i will just keep saving until i find what suits me someday.
    meantime i will keep watching both schedules

6. commander flatus

commander flatus Active Member

Status Points:
    I had no difficulty finding a recent BE roundtrip to MAD in October. I did, however, have lots of problems finding low mileage TPAC tickets. Just for comparison, after reading his post above, I checked AA and UA for TPAC freebies and the mileages for redemption are just as ridiculous as Delta (MSY-BKK-MSY in first or biz in October).

I would agree that overall UA and AA have more valuable miles, but some tickets (Europe in summer and TPAC anytime) are tough nuts to crack....

7. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep checking the DL site frequently. Cheaper tickets sometimes show up closer to the date of departure. Also, do not be afraid to call DL directly. The website isn't always the best way to find good seats. Another option: try expert flyer and see what fare buckets are being offered on others.