DL/AS SEA-TAC Ramp Up

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by brfort, Oct 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately they will still be missing real reciprocal Elite benefits. If you credit to AS, you are next to nothing when you flight DL (below DL FO). If you credit to DL, you are next to nothing when you fly AS, below MVP.

And how about one-way awards DL?

3. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it will be interesting to see what happens to the DL/AS partnership once AA gets sorted. If they continue to mess around AS might just dump AA altogether and that might present an opening for DL.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  4. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought AS MVP Gold ranked after GM for upgrades and DL DM/PM were after AS MVP on AS. Was I wrong? I know the upgrade drama has gone back and forth. Since I haven't yet flown AS, I haven't paid that much attention.

5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    All DL elites even PM and DM rank behind all AS 75K, MVPG, and even MVP for upgrades on AS metal. Only the checkin lottery can let a DL elite line jump an upgrade and from what I hear it has been fixed.

6. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow....that's a bummer. So much for a "closer" relationship. But, I can also understand AS and DL both wanting to protect the F seats for their respective elites first. Hard to argue with the logic. As I said, I've never flown AS. What is their F product like?

Scottrick likes this.
  7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even the worst airline F is better than the best Y, so I'll take AS F if I can get it.

However, AS F is pretty weak. Seats have little recline and pitch is tight. It's particularly bad red-eye. I find the seat fairly uncomfortable and it has no lumbar support and there are no pillows or blankets. No power or IFE (hand held Digiplayers offered on longer flights), although there is wifi over the 48 U.S. states. No pre-departure beverage other than water. Meals are about the same as others, portions somewhat small. FA's do not keep coach pax out of the F lav, so it is often occupied.

AS do serve Alaska Amber

The reciprocal status arrangements are pretty weak. AS has no extra legroom seats other than the exit row

Scottrick and Davescj like this.
  8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, AS upgrades are so slammed out of SEA that adding DL elites in the middle of the rank would just boil over. Think ATL. Tcon upgrades are rare on AS in SEA vs DL where snagging them is easier with more routings. HI upgrades are one bright spot - AS have comp upgrades for elites to HI.

F on AS is ok - hard product is adequate and service is usually pleasant. Delta's hard product is better. AS F seats are firm - some would say hard. They don't have power plugs at the seats. They provide handheld players instead of seat screens so eating and entertaining is not a smooth experience (e.g player on your leg while tray has plate). No pillows or blankets even in F - even on 5.5 hr evening flights. Lots of water only PDBs or no PDB at all. Their food is sometimes small, but food to/from HI is good. Tcon service is not as good as AA or DL. No power is then an even bigger issue on AS on tcons. Even new planes they are ordering today don't address these hard product issues.

I dont mean to sound negative - AS is a good airline - just quirky. I do like their schedules/non stop service out of SEA, their shared elite benefits programs with AA and DL of course, the elite fee waiver on all ticket changes for MVPG, that they treat all passengers better then most other legacys, that they are always on time, that their website is very functional for almost all self service needs compared to say AA, and that their prices are very clear and simple so you know what to expect regardless of purchase time. Also I'm not a LCC ticket shopper so I don't represent 95% of the buying market - WN or B6 dont interest me either. Anyway that got a bit OT. I guess you could say its all domestic F at the end of the day :)