DL applies for Haneda slots: ATL/LAX/MSP

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Apr 21, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The DoT is requiring all airlines to reapply for Haneda service with the shift to daytime slots. DL has applied to keep its LAX service and add ATL and MSP as well.

I think that ATL has a very strong chance of being awarded though that may come at the expense of the LAX slot; I would be surprised if the DoT chose to keep two at LAX with a full reallocation, especially now that there is increased demand from other airports. I think MSP is a pipe dream at best.

UA applied for EWR/SFO. AA for LAX/DFW. HA for HNL/KOA with the twist that the second frequency would be 3x KOA/4x HNL weekly and would be considered as a night slot if that's all it can get.

More details/analysis of the new Haneda slot applications on my blog if anyone cares.

(Bold codes are the cities with existing service)

Pizzaman likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    MSP strikes me as really unlikely here as well. We agree on ATL as well. That makes way too much sense.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DL actually asked for MSP over ATL (and LAX) as first choice. So bizarre.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'll admit to not being an expert on MSP connecting traffic, but I can't imagine any scenario where there's more demand through MSP than ATL. Can't imagine it's equipment related?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One of the arguments made is that MSP facilitates comparable connecting flow from other airports - i.e. not MSP nor ATL - with decent schedules. I am not really buying it, but that's one of the stories being told.

Pizzaman likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    ATL is out of the way for people originating outside of the southeastern part of the USA while MSP is not for the eastern half of the country.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, though there are challenges with frequencies and breadth of service ex-MSP versus ex-ATL. Also, O/D traffic has to play into the numbers at some point and I'd expect that ATL has more than MSP does.

8. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has Delta given up on Narita or are they flying to both cities.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DL is pulling down at NRT and it isn't happy about it. Still some onward connections from the hub there but it will shrivel and die as more competitors offer non-stop service to the onward locations. Delta also lacks partners at NRT which doesn't help its flow there.

But with the limited number of HND slots available no carrier can wholesale bail on NRT and move to HND and expect to succeed.