DL and Republicans to Blame for FAA Shutdown...

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Jul 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rockefeller Blames Delta Airlines for FAA Shutdown

My initial reaction to the headline was WTF...take the story for what you will...

So, all of this is really because of the union issue...:confused:

Happy Friday!

:)robin

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Washington's dysfunction, which I figured I would never be surprised by, has really gotten extreme this summer. Whatever happened to compromising and leaving everyone a little unhappy but averting disaster and keeping things moving along?

jbcarioca, SC Flier and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Compromise seems increasingly less acceptable, which is ridiculous...this affects millions of people...yet lawmakers do not seem to be acting in the peoples' best interests...:rolleyes:

jbcarioca, SC Flier and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    That is what you get when you foist unwanted legislation on people, at a certain time you reach a breaking point and people balk. It always seems to happen at an inconvenient time and ends up impacting many more people in a much worse way that might be necessary if things were calmly discussed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    please

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  7. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's probably easier to say that the DL/union dispute is part of the problem than to single out and blame either DL or the labor unions. Both have a role to play in their little squabbles.

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's not Delta, but the union issue is one thing that Chair of the House Transportation Committee cares about, but that the Democrat-controlled Senate won't give on.

There's also a dispute over slots beyond the permiter at DCA, some Senators are holding out, blackmailing the bill, in exchange for flights to their home airports. These are mostly Democrats.

But the major issue in all of this is the Essential Air Service program. Republicans in the House want to limit it to disallow funds for airports where the subsidy is greater than $1000 per passenger. They don't want to kill EAS. They don't want to fundamentally reform EAS. They just want to stop subsidies to three airports, which happen to be in states represented by very powerful Democrats. The most egregious supsidy of over $1500 per passengeris in Nevada, represented by Harry Reid (Senate Majority Leader). One of the three airports is in West Virginia, hence Jay Rockefeller needs to claim that even though he's one of the primary people blocking a compromise, that it's really reasons other than pork to his state.

The Republicans are political playing a game here of stick it to Democrats, under the guise of eliminating government waste. These Democrats are playing a game with the FAA, refusing re-authorization unless they can protect their pork. And Rockefeller is one of the pork recipients holding up re-authorization.

Bizarrely, Rockefeller says that airlines should 'hold onto the money that would otherwise have been collected in taxes' (even though there legally are no taxes currently) and give the money to the government later. Heh.

mersk862, LETTERBOY, mtkeller and 2 others like this.
  10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    gleff,

Thanks for a quick rundown. Admittedly, I have not paid as much attention to much of the current Republican-Democrat mess as I normally would.

:)robin

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Gleff for this very useful information. Right now Delta (and everybody else) is making insane money while they cash in on the FAA taxes themselves. Looks like Delta will report some excellent numbers next quarter.

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Fair enough, but it's also a cyclical industry and fuel prices are very high, they've all also lost a lot of money over the past 10 years..

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is particularly interesting also when we add agricultural subsidies, military bases, federal contract and projects to the mix. On any given issue specific Senators and/or representatives are and always have been, pushing for their own individual pork. Both parties have been equally offensive in that respect IMO. The mess is even worse when the mass of political favors included in the tax code is considered.

Every specific case seems to involve time-honored lobbying and pork distribution processes. Every hand is dirty.

Now the Tea Party is rebelling. I disagree with their tactics. Much of what individual adherents claim is patently false. Still, they are fighting the status quo and that is not bad.

I only wish the US could deal with economic issues and political issues in a more mature fashion. These two houses of Congress have time-honored processes that are neither part of law nor the Constitution. Where does the filibuster exist in law?

Further, we often forget that the Vietnam war was not declared, nor the Korean one, nor most other recent ones. The Iraq escapade was justified ex-post-facto, and the Afghan one was never actually planned at all. The lessons of history in all these cases were ignored. Now the citizens are paying for the folly of their leaders.

This is really quite repulsive.

As for Delta and their unions. Oh, how ridiculous. There is far more to it than that. Reid and Rockefeller have pork threatened. yes. Lest we forget this is bipartisan pork. The party in charge always gets more pork than the one not in power. Can that ever be stopped?

Davescj likes this.
  14. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    It goes w/o saying DL does not want it easier for labor unions to come in. No large company wants unions particularly, we all know this.

That said, DL has a history of NOT having unions and repeatedly having them voted down.

As to the no-shows, I do think it makes more sense to to count them. People can vote or not. If you think the company is using illegal tactics to prevent a union, the courts can be a place of resolution as we've seen in the past.

An interesting point about the EAS is that (as I understand it) the federal government subsidizes something like 1/2 of the cost as I understand it. If I am wrong about the levels, please correct me. So......can we call EAS anything BUT pork in the overwhelming number of cases?

If you're 50 miles from "hub" are u necessarily 50 miles from service? Hattiesburg for example is 90 miles from Jackson MS (1 hr 44 min city to city per mapquest). Do I think it would be a pain in the gas tank to drive 2 hrs to the airport? Yes. Would I want to pay that extra out of my pocket? No. Do I want to subsidize flights to hattiesburg as a tax payer? No. The fact it, 2 hrs to another city is not untenable.

Dave

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without reference to the politicians involved is it not absurd to declare anything at all in Nevada, West Virginia, Texas, Wyoming or any other lower 48 states really Essential for subsidies? In these cases, all of them, i think, there are land and air connections available that would cost far, far less than EAS while delivering equal or better service. Here is an article that discusses the empty EAS flights between ATL and MCN, among other things. Eliminating almost all of EAS would only save $400 million per annum, but that is actual cash out for minimal benefit.

I am for canceling EAS entirely, with a different and cheaper approach for Alaska and Hawaii.

MSPeconomist and Davescj like this.
  16. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    You gotta love John Mica's comment:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...n-projects/2011/07/29/gIQAvmC5jI_story_1.html

That's quite telling that DL would give problems to a powerful politician. Why should we expect good treatment?

jbcarioca likes this.