DL Amex annual eligible spend- MQM boost

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Dec 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I ran into a hassle last year, hit the MQM bonus for my DL amex in late Dec., after the Nov/Dec statement date, so I should have gotten the MQM boost when the Jan statement came in. It didn't, and it required several e-mails to amex customer service, followed by a series of emails back and forth with their rep on FT, before they finally admitted that I'd spent enough to qualify. I did finally get the points. Somehow with all their computers they couldn't count, although I could see on my online statement that I was well over the number.

One issue can be the difference between total spend and eligible spend (for example, the card renewal fee is not "eligible"), however I was safely over the threshold.

I'm concerned that I'll run into the same thing, since I just hit the threshold yesterday. I'm actually about $1k over the threshold on "total" spend, so that should put me safely over on "eligible" spend, but I'll study my online statement carefully to be sure.

The point of this thread-
    1. To caution you about watching the difference between total and eligible spend
    2. To make people aware that if they are near the borderline they need to watch their statements and activity carefully
    3. To give a place to discuss this as it develops; last year a lot of people were caught in that gap, and I'm sure most didn't realize that they weren't getting their due.

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle,

You make an excellent point for folks, especially those needing those last 10k MQMs!!

I hit the threshold the day after my November statement ended, so I expect to see the 10k late this week or early next week!

:)

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think the AMEX computers got drunk today- I'd been logging in a couple times a day for the past week to monitor things as I neared the threshold. Numbers were all consistent, moving towards the target. Suddenly around noon Central time today according to the online statement my y-t-d spend numbers dropped by $13k. An hour ago the missing amount reappeared, so I'm back on track. Two pages of expenditures had disappeared. Bizarre.

I downloaded .xls spreadsheets of the lower and higher numbers, so if there is a problem I can compare and see what was missing. (it seems about 220 transactions had disappeared and then reappeared).

flyingdawg and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully it works out easier this year and they do post. How many MQM´s are you at so far?

rwoman and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Travel was down this year, I need the boost to maintain PM.
    I looked at fitting in a mileage run in the second half of December, but couldn't work out the schedule.

I pushed suppliers who don't accept credit cards to accept paypal payments, and funded those directly with my AMEX; I absorbed the fees, that's a lot cheaper than a mileage run.

rwoman, flyingdawg and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    So for last year were they able to apply the MQM´s in 2010 and count toward that status and was it updated correctly with Delta? Hope you don´t have any issues this time around.

rwoman, flyingdawg and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, 2010's boost actually went into my rollover, since I had enough BIS miles. This was the down year, 2012 is looking like I'm back to flying enough BIS.

They didn't actually straighten it out and give me the Amex MQM's until the very end of January, but they credited them back to December.

8. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me know what happens.

Possible Diamond then next year?

9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If the miles are getting up there I'd probably stop short, burn miles for some of the trips, and roll over a big chunk. That is, if they still have rollover; we never know if they're going to cancel that feature on short notice.

DeltaExpert, rwoman and DiverDave like this.
  10. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly enough, that seems to be the state of things today with our favourite airline.

David

11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Statement closed yesterday, 10k bonus showed up today. :)

12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It all worked out right this time, threshold bonus posted and rollover was adjusted. :)

I do note this comment at the top of my online statement:

DeltaExpert likes this.
  13. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it all worked out!

Gargoyle likes this.