DL adds Skymark as FFP partner

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by JALPak, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is Skymark?

3. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Comes out to about 1-1.5 yen/mile redemption value. Not awful, but not particularly great considering that DL short-haul awards from Japan start at 15-25k and that AA and UA let you redeem Japan domestic partner awards on better airlines for 15k a pop. 15k for any Skymark domestic flight would be a more attractive deal, especially considering that their shorter flights are not that much cheaper than their longer flights.

It would be really interesting if DL developed the Skymark partnership a bit more. Mileage earning on Skymark flights would be a big deal. Codeshares feeding DL's NRT and HND flights might be difficult, but they could definitely codeshare at NGO and possibly also at KIX (if Skymark cared to go back there).

4. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why does DL get rid of outstanding partners like SQ and add LCC for FF awards. If I wanted to fly a LCC, I wouldn't have so many DL miles.

I assume Skymark had no FC or business class and no lounges? Do they assign seats in advance?

Italy98 likes this.
  6. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    No premium class, no lounges, and (I believe) no advance seat assignment. That said, they're the only halfway comprehensive network carrier within Japan after JAL and ANA are taken out of the picture, so it makes sense that Delta would want some sort of tie-up with them. The lack of a local partner is probably DL's biggest disadvantage in the Japan market -- for a long time before the merger, NW gave out 500 miles for any Japan domestic flight on any carrier ("double dipped" in addition to any accrued JL/NH/partner mileage) in order to remedy this shortcoming.

7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Skymark's 380 will have premium cabins but those are for international flights and is not part of this deal (for now)

8. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll believe that when I see it.

Oh, and it looks like Skymark is starting domestic flights from NRT soon--so that may be part of the tie-up strategy. Didn't realize that. Press release: http://www.skymark.co.jp/ja/company/press/press110412.html

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What aircraft do they fly now?

10. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is this info.