DL accrual changes (for the worse, of course)

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by violist, Nov 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/partners/delta.aspx
    For Flights Taken on or After January 1, 2015:

Economy Cabin:
    Earn 25% actual flight miles* flown in E class of service;
    Earn 50% actual flight miles* flown in L, U, T, X, V class of service;
    Earn 75% actual flight miles* flown in H, Q, K class of service;
    Earn actual flight miles* flown in B, M, S class of service;
    Earn actual flight miles* flown in Y class of service, plus 25% Bonus Miles

Business Elite (Business Class) Cabin:
    Earn actual flight miles* flown in Z class of service, plus 25% Bonus Miles;
    Earn actual flight miles* flown in D, I class of service, plus 50% Bonus Miles;
    Earn actual flight miles* flown in J, C class of service, plus 75% Bonus Miles;

First Class Cabin:
    Earn actual flight miles* flown in G class of service, plus 25% Bonus Miles;
    Earn actual flight miles* flown in A class of service, plus 75% Bonus Miles;
    Earn actual flight miles* flown in F, P class of service, plus 100% Bonus Miles;

Elite Qualifying Flight Miles: Yes

*Earn 500 minimum miles on flights less than 500 miles. Actual miles flown = 1 mile per flight mile flown. Miles may not be earned for tickets flown in unlisted classes of service. Some deeply-discounted and industry fares are ineligible to earn miles.

To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by Delta.

Newscience likes this.
  2. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an extraordinary devaluation of earning. If it becomes the norm for flying partner airlines (such as American or Qantas), then it will drive many away from Mileage Plan and Alaska.

But, maybe it is a sign of the ongoing divorce from Delta. And perhaps a budding romance with American/OW?

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, goody. Just wait until United Airlines learns about this... :eek:

MX, flyforawg and Renard like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only a devaluation if you fly DL and always credit to AS. Completely understandable for AS to do this considering DL changed their earning rates. Not too worried about AS doing something like this to their other partner carriers unless those carriers change to a revenue earning structure as well.

I'm more worried about AS increasing their redemption rates but wouldn't mind it if they increase the awards by a few thousands... if it's a significant increase then no bueno...

Newscience likes this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, AS is INCREASING earning on their own metal, and MVPG75Ks now earn a 125% RDM bonus, meaning that a MVPG75K will earn over 200,000 RDM.

So it's not like AS just took things away...

Newscience likes this.
  6. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    well it probably tells us that an imminent divorce is not happening. However, it will certainly raise the bar for buying DL to credit to AS and lower the bar for AS and AA to credit there.

Newscience likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this Alaska 's decision? If you fly Delta and credit to AS, Delta has to go out and buy those miles for you from AS.

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:

AS isn't doing this, DL is. It is the airline you fly that pays for the miles you earn, not the program you put them into. DL is continuing to disengage from its AS alliance and this is one more move...it also saves DL considerable $s since it buys fewer AS miles. If there's any indication of AS's desire to keep its program among the best on the continent, if not in the world, the increase in COS and elite bonuses just announced confirms this. Doubt there'll be a similar reduction in mileage earned for AA -- or other partner -- flights since these carriers appear to want to see their alliances strengthened.

9. foofiter

foofiter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not happy with this either but I am an ATL based flyer. I will STILL credit AS for all my DL flights simply because skypesos are still a worse option for me. I tend to fly cheap fares so I am looking at 50% credit.

I value AS miles more so it still makes sense for me. I earn most of my miles from cards anyway.

10. jni3

jni3 New Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't care less how many miles I get from DL to my AS account. I only care about the actual distance and legs that I fly so that I can keep my MVP status.

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW how long does it usually take for DL flights to credit to AS?

12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points: