DL - 2,300 miles for $5 - possibly via Skymiles Shopping

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by NYBanker, Aug 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This $5 re-charger puck is being offered with 2,300 skymiles. $0.0022 per mile. Buy 11 for 25,000+ miles, enough for a domestic award trip (low miles) for $55.

Beware - earlier in the week, the same item (among others) was offered via AA shopping with 83,000 miles. The AA shopping vendor is saying it was an error, and offered 2,500 miles in consolation. There is also a provision in the VZW T&Cs which says no points for accessories...but all the language leading up to that is very clear that you will get the miles.

For $5, it seems worth a roll of the dice to me. Save some screenshots along the way - and buy with a card with return protection, and you should at least limit your downside.

I ordered one under this promo. Let's see. YMMV.

http://americanexpress.skymilesshop...+inductive&p=sr&mnpos=549|2743|1|1|search_box

rwoman, OneSweetWorld and DeltaExpert like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah considering the mess going on with the AA shopping mall and the same devices showing up on the Priority Club mall, it's likely that this will just turn into a protracted legal battle.

Still, if they offer you some consolation miles for their mistake -- or even if they offer you the actual miles for the purchase -- it's better than nothing. Just be prepared to have to wait and fight it out.

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This offer is less than the consolation offer on the AA deal. I think we have a decent shot on this one... fingers crossed.

MrHalliday and OneSweetWorld like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, but if anything that means you'll get even less or perhaps nothing at all from this offer, even though like you I'm hoping otherwise.

Regardless, between this mess with Delta, with AA, with PC and the recent EasyCGI debacle the only thing that we can be certain about is that there will be clearer "no fault" T&C pages coming up soon from everybody. Nobody -- other than us -- thinks that having these crazy offers out there is a good idea, so I wouldn't be surprised if this just leads to more scrutiny and bigger protections for the merchants and the shopping malls to safeguard them from having to hand out large quantities of miles because of a mistake.

A shame really, because finding the occasional deal is always a good thing, but when you have a bunch of them come from the same area (namely the e-shopping portals) you know that someone is going to notice and do something about it.

OneSweetWorld and SC Flier like this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Eligible only on new service contracts. Accessory purchases and contract upgrades are not eligible. Purchases of gift cards and of phones outside of new contracts and upgrades are not eligible. "

I don't think that this will go over well. It's true that the T&Cs are not presented well, but they are available. (At least they are in IE. I had some trouble getting to them while in Firefox.)

MrHalliday and OneSweetWorld like this.
  6. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I am not sure it is a mess going on yet with the AA mall... since nothing has happened either was as yet. Only a few people have supposedly gotten this 2,500 mile email and someone claiming to be Cartera posted in the forum but these are hardly official responses. The best thing to do in this is wait to see what happens. We all knew it was a mistake when it all began but since miles even under normal shopping do not post this fast, it would be wise to wait a bit to see what happens... maybe nothing will happen at all but maybe they will do something as a consolation... it is just too early to know.

NYBanker likes this.
  7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not know it was a mistake. I thought Verizon was really trying to offer a nice incentive to move those chargers. For that offer I was happy to purchase two.

viguera, SC Flier and NYBanker like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whilst I do not know the exact outcome, I'm confident that well written letters to skymiles mall and delta will yield something greater than zero. Same with the AA offer.

I just cashed my $400+ check from Delta for a weather related forced overnight. For all those who say, "there is no compensation for weather delays," I say, "you're not an effective communicator."

DLroads, viguera, MrHalliday and 4 others like this.
  9. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    $400 check for weather related overnight? Well done

NYBanker likes this.
  10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anybody get anything miles or email, about this issue? I read on another website they are claiming this is a mistake like the AA 83k mistake and offering 500 consolation points? I've not heard nothing else about this. No email, no offer, no points for the chargers I purchased.

11. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should e-mail the shopping mall and inquire about your miles. At the bottom of the screen there should be a contact us tab... Good luck!

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    They gave me 500 miles.

13. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like nothing has changed and Cartera is standing firm on the original offers, 500 miles for the Delta purchase and 2500 for AA and another 2500 for additional purchase in 30 days. I waited the required 6-8 weeks and no points posted. I then emailed them through the sites "contact us" feature, citing the offer and then requesting that they post my points, and including my screen shot's. ( I was hoping the whole thing had blown over and I would get a rep that was maybe "hired yesterday" and they would just give me the points). No luck they are still sending the same email response I have seen posted on various websites. I did however make multiple purchase of the hockey puck thru the delta offer and over the next couple weeks I will be requesting credit for each purchase, we'll see how that works? Any body have any luck getting more then one 500 point credit.?