DJ Award Availability and Feasible Connections?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Explore, Aug 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you research Biz award availability on Virgin Australia using DL miles online? Are connections SFO-LAX on DL, and from Australia to New Zealand likely to be feasible on the same award, for roughly the same miles cost?

Also, is Air Tahiti Nui still a DL partner, and is that a feasible way to travel to Aust/NZ? Didn't see them listed....

Thanks.....

2. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you think that you can go to delta.dumb to do some research and then actually think that you have actually completed said research? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

USAF_Pride likes this.
  3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get a Velocity Rewards account (enter the address of some Aussie hotel, since you can't use a US address). The reward (not any seat) availability maps pretty well to DL inventory, apparently. Note that you'll have to pay the YQ for VA redemptions, but better 150K and some YQ than 2MM and no YQ. I'm not sure that you can get a domestic Australian or Oz-NZ segment from DJ unless it's a DL codeshare or you have the TPAC segment on VA.

TN is on the list of redemption partners. However, my understanding is that their J is more like domestic F than true international J. Other options to Australia available with SkyMiles should include (not 100% on this, since I know they're valid from Europe but only think they should work TPAC) are CZ, KE, MU, and MH. CZ and MU are in ExpertFlyer. Call for KE and MH (although getting an Enrich account for MH should give a rough idea of availability).

4. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this detailed info. The DJ website was down over the weekend for maintenance, but I'll try and establish an account now.

5. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called up DL and they said they have lots of availability on Air Tahiti Nui between LAX-PPT but no availability PPT-AKL in all of 2013 and wasn't sure if that flight was available using SkyMiles.

Does anyone know if SkyMiles can be only be redeemed for the LAX-PPT Air Tahiti Nui flight and not PPT-AKL (or any other flights)?

6. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    It could be a matter of Air Tahiti Nui not releasing the inventory. I would guess that since ATN is not a ST partner, they have only limited redemption with DL.

7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    TN is a unique SkyMiles partner where availability doesn't appear the same as with other partners (or so I'm told), but I can report that SkyMiles can be used to book a ticket between LAX-PPT-AKL.

One agent mentioned that PPT-AKL can't be booked using SkyMiles without a LAX-PPT leg, but I can't confirm.