Dividend Miles Select (DMS) : Question for the experts

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by airshadow, Aug 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I remember that in the past you had to have the full amount of miles in your account before you could apply a US MasterCard DMS (5,000) reduction.

For example, if you wanted to book a 100,000 (all US-metal) award using the 5,000 mile reduction for a total of 95,000 miles, you still had to have at least 100,000 miles in your account or it would give you an error.

Is that still the case? Thanks

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oooh, great question, I don't have direct experience with this but I wouldn't have expected this to be the case since it's described as a discount and not as a rebate. And as a result if they told me I had to have the full mileage in my account in order to book at the discounted rate I would certainly push the issue. Would love to hear the experiences of folks trying to redeem with only the discounted and not full mileage balances in their accounts..

3. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    When this issue arose a few years ago I was rich with TIB miles so it didn't affect me. Now it's the other way around. I'm trying to determine how many miles to get with Grand Slam 11 and would prefer to hit it exactly. :)

4. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    This happened to me the other day. You need the full miles before discount. Also you can send Barkleys a secure message and have them change your DM account #. Going to utilize this for the Grand Slam promotion so my wife and I can both earn a hit. It changes the DMS to the account as well so you can use it strategically if you have less miles in one account.

5. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    ok - thanks for the reply - I was afraid that might still be the case. sucks.

I didn't know you could switch out DM#s - interesting - thanks for sharing!