Ditch your branded airline credit cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Mar 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are moving in to a Brave New World where the Airlines have much greater control. It was once a buyer's market for Frequent Travelers in many respects at airlines, hotels and many related businesses.
    These things tend to the cyclical and this may (or may not) be the top of their cycle.

uggboy likes this.
  3. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My, how times change. During the downtimes for airlines they were frequently bailed out by credit card companies willing to buy up miles. Now, it seems as though they are biting the hand that feeds them.

Since most of us can't live without credit cards, I don't think the devaluations will impact the credit card companies that much. As rational consumers of a product/service, we'll simply shift to other credit cards such as rebate-based cards.

uggboy and 8MiHi like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today miles are much easier to get.

Many times it is harder to get the flight schedule you want, but with status you can move stand by and get what you want..

It might be harder on some, but miles are no problem,

Much like the stock market when the taxi cab drive is playing the game, we are in trouble.

I'll gain over 200,000 miles this month, it took many a years before that first million was racked up.

Today I can do it in less than a year, and I am just a Silver ...Golds should have no problems,

How you view things is everything,

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    For many people, carrying an airline branded card, which offers free checked bag and priority boarding is a nice perk, especially since most can be had w/ no real annual fee (i.e. get a retention bonus)

LETTERBOY likes this.