Dissapointing 1st trip on United post merger

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Phorever, Mar 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a quick day trip ORD -> MSP and back on Tuesday March 6th

When I first arrived at the airport, the new boarding process does not recognize that I am an Explorer Card holder (Which I got to try and offset the fact that I am transitioning from AA to UA this year and trying to earn status as quick as possible).

The flight to MSP is fairly uneventful.

MY meeting end early and I get to the airport 6 hours early for my 7:XX flight. Perfect, there is a 3:49 I can get on. I try to pay the $75 to change my flight and the machine will not accept my credit card (I tried a few different ones in case it was the card, nothing). So I go to speak to an agent, and it turns out none of the United card machines are working at MSP that day, so I stand there for 45 minutes as she continually tries to swipe my card, no luck.

Finally, she says "let me take down your card # and I will run it later when the machines work", so I oblige so I can go through security and get on my flight.

Today there are currently seven $75 charges on my card (need to call the Explorer card and get this fixed)... and on top of that United.com hasn't posted my miles or segments (and no longer recognizes or shows Tuesday's flights). I tried calling into United but it stated "we have too many callers" and hung up on me.

I am telling you, this has been a frustrating experience to say the least, and now I just had to email mileageplus@united.com since I cant get anyone by phone.

(((((( Sorry to vent ))))))

rwoman, gobluetwo and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    not much of a vent:D
    Things like your experience shouldn't happen but they do, the key to a great company is how they respond to your issues.
    I'll be very curious how UA & Chase take care of you.

rwoman and Phorever like this.
  3. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Willie, Ill let you know how it goes. I am going to just let it rest for a few hours and see what I can do this afternoon.

rwoman and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    am I assuming correctly that you did at least get on the earlier flight?

5. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

That was the best part... hahaha

Now once I get $500 worth of Charges from my CC removed and convince United that I actually did fly two segments with them on Tuesday that they no longer recognize, we will be all set :cool:

Edit: Oh, and I would also like it if they recognized I have the Explorer card for boarding purposes

rwoman and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tough experience at MSP! What did you do during boarding? Just board with the group printed on the BP, or try showing them your Explorer card so you could board with the correct group? I wonder if that would even work.

7. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I showed my card at the gate and she let me on. I made sure to be the last person in boarding group 5 so as not to hold anyone up.... she let me walk right on

mht_flyer and rwoman like this.
  8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP, do you have AA status? If so, you can status match to UA to make the transition easier.

For example, if you're PLT on AA, you'd match to UA Premier Gold for 90 days. You'd get the benefits during that period and would have to fly 17.5K miles on UA metal. Even if you don't reach that threshold, it will make those 90 days more bearable as you complete the normal requirements for status.

Phorever likes this.
  9. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was god for 5 years but didnt qualify in 2011 (transitioned jobs, now fly united).

I am finally getting around to calling United because they no longer recognize I was on those two segments and I have no credit....

I have been on hold 62 minutes and counting....

10. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Held a total of 65 minutes efore picking up.

She stated that EQMs and Segments wont post now for 15 days and to call back 15 days after travel....

Sooooooo Sloppy UA

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absent the miles pushing you over a status threshold, why not just be a bit more patient now? Clearly they're going to be overloaded from the transition.

Why overload the phone lines (and go through the hassle of waiting on hold for over an hour) over miles not posting after only 4 days? If anything fill out the online form, but wait at least a week.

My recollection is that pre-merger UA and especially CO miles could take a while to post even in normal times. Just take the mile posting delay as a complete non-issue and check back next week.

The CC charges are a bigger deal, but I'd at least try to call at an off-hour if you're going to talk to UA about this.