Disruptions: Time to Review F.A.A. Policy on Gadgets

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by rwoman, Mar 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYT: Disruptions: Time to Review F.A.A. Policy on Gadgets

I know there's been discussion on this in the AA thread recently...

2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look, if there is even decent evidence based on repeatable tests that the gadgets have an effect on avionics, the rule should stay as is and enforcement by FAs should actually INCREASE. If it's baloney, the rule should go. I don't like the rule because I'd like to start using my iPad or play music from the minute that I'm seated, buckled in, etc., but if safety is really an issue, then I'm fine with waiting a few minutes. However, I don't actually believe that safety is being compromised by letting us use our gadgets. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if it were, we'd have had an incident already, because I have seen plenty of passengers who disobeyed the rule on just about every flight I've been on since the advent of cell phones.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even the FAA admits that the ban was related to ancient cellular telephone tower interference and was an FAA mandate rather than FAA. The safety issue never did exist and no test has ever suggested that such an issue exists. However, lots of loose equipment during takeoff and landing could conceivably fly around the cabin and all those people talking would be a mighty irritation...

autolycus likes this.
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've seen plenty of tests that have shown that the interference issue is bs, but if the FAA can show me a legitimate, repeatable test that shows otherwise, I'll support the ban. You're right that loose equipment could be a problem and that cell phone conversations can be very annoying. Can we also ban books, magazines, children, and loud talkers during take off and landing? :)

On a side note, why is it that cell phone conversations are so much more noticeable and frustrating than regular conversations between two people who are both in the room/plane/bus/train/etc.? I have noticed this phenomenon with my own hearing and sensibilities, but I have never been able to answer why it is. Perhaps it's that people tend to talk louder when on the phone? Or is it the different speech pattern that occurs because of the lack of non-verbal cues between members of the conversation--the cues tend to be a good signal that the other person is done talking or is about to talk, which helps avoid talking across/over each other?

5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know, re-reading the article--instead of just skimming it like I did before--it's clear that approval of cellphones is NOT on the table. For now they're just looking at non-phone devices (e.g. iPad, Kindle, Nook, iPod, PSP, Gameboy, etc.)

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have long believed the interference thing is BS. Maybe in its early days, but not now. And that the airlines just wanted to point people to the $5/minute phones on board.

Now, I feel its more about maintaining the peace on board the airplane. There are PLENTY of jerks who speak IN A VERY LOUD VOICE both in lounges and even restroom stalls, that if they were on a plane, would irritate many. Heck, it happens right now pre-flight and on the taxi into the gate. Thanks dude, appreciate the update you gave to your wife and everyone from rows seven to 23 on the landing of our flight.

FAA is going to have a very tough sell to say that e-readers and iPads are dangerous as more are being deployed into the cockpit.

autolycus likes this.