Disney Wilderness Lodge Review

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by lapointdm, Oct 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Disney Wilderness lodge is convenient for those who like to visit Disney Parks. It has access to the free Disney buses and a ferry that will take you to and from the Magic Kingdom (the ferry was quick and scenic). If you drive a car and stay at the lodge they will let you park for free at the parks.

The first impression of the lodge was , wow that is large, and it is very rustic and does remind someone of a national park lodge. The interior atrium is very tall with 2 totem poles on either side, several massive chandaliers, and is filled with a lot of comfy furniture for lounging in. there is a very tall fireplace at one end which is made up of different stone and does have real fire in it. The fire place doesn't burn too hot but it's nice and has some attractive iron work depicting native americans.

The guest receptions were very friendly and got us checked in quickly and gave us magic bands for the parks. Magic bands use RFID technology to act as room keys, credit card if you attach one, fastpass for the parks, and park tickets. Incredibly useful and we were happy to keep ours for next time.

The room is not huge but had 2 double beds, plenty of storage, 2 seperate sinks from the toilet and tub area, and a mini fridge. With a family of 4 the bathroom set up is great! There was also a balcony which although small and not a great view was still nice to sit out on. The room was decorated with wilderness motives. Woodenesque furniture (I'm not convinced it was truly wood), carved headboards, wrote iron in wilderness shapes, and the bathroom had bambi, chip and dale, and the racoon from Pocahantus on the tiles. The feel of the room was very nice, and the maids left towel animals which were cute.

Unfortunately the main pool was being refurbished so we couldn't try it out, but we did use a side pool that had plenty of seating, was decent sized, and had a hot tub. Towels were provided, and close by was a pool bar.

There are several places to eat at - roaring forks is quick service, whispering canyon is sit down, and artiste point is a fancier sitdown. We only ate one breakfast in roaring forks and for quick service it was plentiful, and hot, and did allow for some customization (waffle bar). Mostly for breakfast we used the fridge and ate in our rooms. Lunch and dinner s were at the park.

The grounds were wooden and landscaped nicely. When we came back one evening there was a deer less than 6 feet away from us munching on the bushes. It was very tame and relaxed while we took pictures of it. There are walking trails around the lodge which are well maintained.

I've stayed at 4 disney resorts and this lodge ranks high but I slightly prefer the animal kingdom lodge because of the animals that are around the site. I would stay here again if the price was as good as this time!

I would defintely recommend this hotel for disney enthusiasts and people who like some of the aspects of the national parks while being in a warmer Florida climate.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Newscience and alfagirl like this.
  2. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice review - having also stayed a few Disney properties (not animal kingdom) this is actually my favorite property. we enjoyed the boat ride to magic kingdom and the easy bus transportation that was never too crowded. despite it's large size, it has always been surprisingly intimate and quiet.

lapointdm likes this.
  3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mentioned quiet, and you are right! For a large resort it was very quiet and peaceful.

traveltoomuch likes this.