Disgusted with One World

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by volsfan, Jan 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based upon my own experience, One World is strictly for the benefit of the airlines, not the customer. I purchased tickets from American Airlines to Singapore which included flights on both AA and JAL. My wife flew before me, and American wanted to check her bags only through to Narita, where she would have to claim them and recheck them to Singapore. Only after talking to several personnel at AA, did they check them on through. Getting assigned seats on the other airline is a mess. JAL does not know what to do with an AA confirmation number, and AA will not book a seat for a JAL flight (or, I found later, an AA flight on a JAL airliner). Even when you have the JAL confirmation number, if it is an American Airlines flight on a JAL airliner, your goose is cooked as far as getting an assigned seat--neither airline will do a thing: JAL says it cannot book because it is an AA flight, and AA says to call JAL because it is on a JAL aircraft. One World, no thanks!

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might find these same "lack of seamless" seamless travel with each alliance, from FF#s that aren't recognized by other carriers, incompatible GDS systems, many flights and fares that don't earn miles, benefits not as expected, etc etc. Just take a look at DL and KE over at Skyteam.

3. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I echo what @Bay Pisco Shark said re: all of the alliances having their weaknesses.

Regarding the first AA agent saying that they could not through-check/interline your wife's bags, that just seems like an inexperienced and/or lazy check-in agent.

Regarding seats that could not be preassigned on the JL leg, I am going to assume you were sitting in Y, not F or C. Out of curiosity, does the OP know if JL pre-assigns Y seats? I would think they do, but some carriers don't until check-in, even for over-water flights.

Does the OP have any oneworld status (Emerald, Sapphire, or Ruby)? Again, I will assume not, but IME, having some status (especially top-tier) will enable agents to "bend the rules" w/r/t assigning seats (even "preferred" Y seats), that were sold by another carrier under a codeshare listing.

LETTERBOY and Sammich like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be prepared to see similar integration issues with other alliances and partnerships. E.g., my recent example with Air Canada charging me (UA *G) for bags going from Canada to the US. http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/ac-charges-ua-1k-g-50-for-two-bags-from-canada-to-us.79697/

Or LH not being able to issue boarding passes for a UA flight that's on the same PNR (and vice versa).

LETTERBOY and Sammich like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a sore point about KE and Delta. I fly mainly Delta and KE was supposed to be my asia alternate while continuing to earn status with Delta but .....

Not the right thread to rant about this though. Alliances / code shares are not really seamless although from all the travel blogs, one could still make it work if you invest lots of time and efforts into the game..

Sammich likes this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup nothing the OP is experiencing is new.
    For some time now AA has had some problems with JAL seating and I believe they cannot be selected until about 60 days before the flight.

Soooo I booked a C award on DL with two AZ legs... selected seats at booking on delta.com .. now two months later the seats selected have disappeared
    and having trouble contacting AZ to get it sorted.

Luckily the legs involved are under 1hr 15 mins so I am not going to lose too much sleep about it all.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Flyer1976 and Sammich like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've not had any problems with one world assigning seats to me. I am presently flying Etihad on AA miles and also no problem getting seats there. I don't doubt that problems do arise, but I think one world is no worse than any other alliance.

alfagirl, Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. kcaluwae

kcaluwae Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree this is a major issue accross all alliances. They happily book tickets on each others flights but they fail to deliver consistent service. It's hilarious if you speak with inexperienced travellers that are still surprised that their AA flight is actually operated by BA and that what they expect from AA it totally different on BA. (or vice versa) Even when I contact CS of several airlines I'm surprised to learn I often know the rules better than the CS I'm speaking with. If you manage to make things that complicated that you don't understand them yourself is actually saying something.
    Sad but true however.

I'm afraid things are getting worse instead of improving (look at DL & KE) I think we just have to take it like it comes and make the best out of it. Carefully studying the programs often gives us some benefits as well and, for me at least, OW is not doing such a bad job. (if only BA would drop those insane YQ charges )