Disgusted with Hilton right now

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by circi, May 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been at a Homewood Suites for about a month and a half now and am not scheduled to check out for several more months. I should have been silver after 10 days, but since I was not checked out until a month passed, I only hit silver last week. Today I requested to be checked out and back in to get the Gold status that I rightfully earned last week, and was told they could not do so.

If I do not change hotels (which I am seriously considering) I will be staying four months straight at a Hilton property. If corporate "wins", I will be only a silver member the entire time because their nights do not post until check out. I am very disappointed to find how little they seem to value a traveler willing to put that much time and money into their hotels.

The hotel management has stated they intend to call corporate and try to get my status raised tomorrow. If they are unsuccessful, I will jump ship to Marriott which gives credit for nights as they occur. As it currently stands, it seems Marriott cares more about customer loyalty than Hilton.

uggboy likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that seems messed up - I hope they get it worked out!!

uggboy likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would contact the company that owns Hilton (Blackstone) as I think you will have more success telling them the situation.

uggboy likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What you are asking HS to do is specifically prohibited by the HHonors T&C:
    So, you really do not have a case other than you should be given consideration because of how long you will be staying at this property. The easiest solution is for you to check out of HS, find a cheap place where you can stay for one night, and then back in a day later. Be sure to let them know what you were doing.

I had a similar issue at Hilton Singapore. I had enough points on 12/31 to requalify for Diamond but I had booked my stay to check out in Jan so that if I stayed at this hotel, the points would not have posted until Jan, leaving me short on requalifying on 12/31. I told the hotel of my dilemma and they said they could post the points only if I checked out without checking right back in.So I told them that I was going to check out, check in at a hotel across the street, and check back in a day later, adding that it seemed to me that the hotel across the street was going to benefit at Hilton's expense because of this stupid rule. It is then that the manager said that although the property could not authorize what I was asking them to do, HHonors Customer Support could because they are ultimately the ones who award the points submitted by hotels. I called HHonors Diamond Desk and spoke with a "Supervisor" who was sympathetic and granted me permission to just stay put where I was and she'd make sure that I would requalify for Diamond. SHe said that she had inserted a note about this into my account and that I should also make sure to call them in Jan to ensure that I requalifed. In fact, this wound up working to my advantage because the points for the same stay were used to requalify me for Diamond and, because I checked out in Jan, credited to me toward requalification for the following year. I double dipped and started the race with about 32,000 points in the account!

chitownflyer, Scottrick and iolaire like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're at the same property and not staying elsewhere, just negeotiate benefits with them directly. I would think they would be much more motivated to make a 4-month stayer happy than they are to make say a diamond staying once or even a few times a year.

iolaire, Casey Friday and autolycus like this.
  6. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would just spend a night at another hotel and then come back to the Homewood - to get your other 'stay'. Homewood is my favorite brand of all Hiltons, and I always find the Gold benefits to be excellent.

mrredskin likes this.
  7. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see where this violates the T&C. I don't care if it shows 1 stay and I'm not trying to work the system. I have been here enough consecutive nights to earn the status bump and IMHO should be credited accordingly. It also doesn't matter to me if the points post now or when I actually leave, I just want the amount of nights I've been here to show. I'm currently not earning the points I should be and that is what has me frustrated. Does that make sense?

The issue with changing hotels for a night is that my room would not be here when I came back. Apparently the hotel is sold out and there is a very real chance they would have to sell my room in that 24hr period. This is a smoking room and my understanding is there are only 4 of them in the hotel so they are in more demand than the non-smoking. It took 3 weeks in a different room before they were able to move me to this one.

Am I truly being unreasonable here?

Steven Schwartz likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What benefits will status now give you at this property? Try to negotiate to get them directly from the hotel sales manager or general manager.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume it would be elite bonus points?

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand your frustration, especially considering the amount of business you are bringing to this property, but this is a well known quirk in the HHonors T&C, which was implemented precisely to keep folks from checking in and out of a property for the purpose of increasing their night/stay count so that they can relatively easily reach elite status.

HHonors points never post while one is still staying in a property. You must first check out, pay your folio and then the points will be figured out (excluding taxes and any ineligible folio items) and be posted to your account. It is how the system is designed to work, for non-elite members and for top elites alike. You are asking that this be changed to accommodate you, but that is at the discretion of HHonors because their T&C are clear on this. Therefore, if checking out and staying at another hotel for one night would result in your not being able to check back in because the property is sold out, your best bet is to have either the property or HHonors Customer Care make an exception. As I recounted above, HHonors did make an exception for me because my request simply made sense. Your case makes sense, so I suspect that they would (at least should) grant the exception. But it is simply not correct to say that you are not requesting that they violate the T&C... They would be violating the T&C by granting you this request, which they can at their discretion (that is in the T&C as well)...

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not just Hilton that counts a continuous period as one stay and doesn't post nights until check out. SPG has similar rules.

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...and the reason for that is understandable, I think...

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Is there a program that's based on nights/stays and doesn't have this rule?

14. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    My coworker at a Residence Inn informed me her nights and points post immediately without being checked out, thus my assumption Hilton worked the same way.

15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether you realise it or not you are going to need to check out and check back in another two weeks because 60 nights will make you Diamond.... more points and more benefits.

You should note that despite your clamoring for them to break the stated program rules you cannot accrue more than 100k points on any one stay no matter how long ... so from where I sit unless you can get them to make an exception you might have to check in and out a few times:)

It seems pretty silly now that you are so close to the HH top tier that you would consider moving to Marriott (which may have the very same rules) but requires 75 nights to make their top status level.

I must say I find it pretty hard to believe the property will not work with you... but drop the " I do not care about the rules attitude" ... its not going get you anywhere.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't apply in this case as the OP is staying at a Homewood Suites property.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/terms.do#accrual_of_points

Members may not accrue more than 100,000 Base Points during one stay, regardless of the amount of eligible folio charges, except for Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Qasr Al Sharq (a member of The Waldorf Astoria) hotels for which there is no cap.

17. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok I missed that.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can you try and work with your hotel to find a night where it is not sold out (maybe a weekend?) and check out for a night? Of course, not sure what their incentive is, other than not risking to lose your business altogether (but with their occupancy rate, maybe not a big concern).

19. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on what you agreed to (best in writing) with whomever you booked your res. If you didnt discuss it then Dont blame the Hotel

Its very simple almost All the Hotel programs consider "checking out and back in" on the same day as the same stay and thusly the person shouldnt get any benefits that they are Entitled to if it was the 1st time theyw ere checking in.

Most Extend a Stay hotels give a lower rate the lower the person is staying and as long as they arent charging you each day then you cant expect Pts or Nights to be credited

I would have called and spoken to a Mgr and explained my sit to them before even booking the res.

20. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Theres the whole Problem " ASSUMED" thats 1 thing you never should do!

eg Club Carlson gives Pts and Stay credit when using Cash & Points and it counts towards their promos as a legit rate. Cant say I know any other Program that does that. So I cant be piffed after a SPG C&P stay posts and all I got (new) was the stay credit and not a single pt and say its Not fair a co-worker gets pts for their stay when they do C&P at a Radisson SPG is ripping me off. No they arent its not apart of their program

21. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel like I'm getting jumped on a little bit here. I am new to all this and from reading the HHonors website I had no way of knowing the nights would not accumulate as they ocurred so go easy on me. These things obvious to you guys are obvious to someone new to frequent travel. If it is somewhere in writing that your nights don't post as they happen, I can't find it. I am not attempting to be difficult in any way, I am trying to learn and understand.

Having said that, I was told at check in that they would check out/in every 30 days but it was indicated to me that it had to do with taxes and not that it was to allow my nights to show on my account. Knowing what I know now, that makes no sense as taxes start over again when you're checked out, but it is what I was told.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But it is what it is and it's probably more productive to focus on what the OP could do NOW.

circi likes this.
  23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough and welcome to MP!

As for the situation at hand, the best approach would be to have a civil discourse with the HS manager or HHonors and see if they could work out something (an exception) for you... I do feel that they will accommodate you...

Bonne chance!

circi likes this.
  24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you paying taxes on your stay? You probably should not be, but this depends on local laws. Typically you are exempt from state and local sales taxes, occupancy tax, etc. if you stay in the same room for more than a month. It might require some paperwork.

They might be asking you to settle your bill every month, although a lot of hotels want it weekly, not exactly checking you in and out. These are not at all the same thing.

OTOH, if it really is a check out monthly, this could have the advantage to the hotel of exempting the property from local rent control laws and therefore the hotel requires it of all guests. It seems to work this way in some areas of California.

When you start to use an airline or hotel chain, it's helpful to spend a bit of time looking at the T&C on the airline's or hotel chain's website as well as any "start here" or FAQ threads here and on TOBB. You should not assume that all frequent guest programs follow the same rules (or that the rules never change).

25. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My advice would be to start by approaching the property's sales manager to understand the situation and see what can be negotiated/arranged for you. It would help to first read carefully any contract you have as well as the Hilton Honors T & C. If this doesn't work, try the hotel's general manager. Then ask Hilton Honors. This gives you more chances of getting a favorable response, assuming that the local hotel is empowered to do what you want. Rather than risking losing you as a client, the hotel might be willing to give you the equivalent of the status perks you would otherwise receive. Hotels can easily give you extra points for almost any reason if they want to do so or the hotel might prefer to do something else for you that you would view as equivalent. If you're settled into your room, you really don't want the hassle of moving in and out, even if you could be guaranteed to keep a smoking room.

circi likes this.