Disgruntled AA FF Considering Coming Back to the DAArk side

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by KenInEscazu, Jan 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I swore off AA five years ago after some pretty egregious treatment over a bunch of nothing. It was actually the straw that accumulated on the back of a very tired, old camel after 25 years as an AAdvantage member.

I'm now UA 1K after switch to CO in 2009. The once greener grass is starting to fade, and while I don't hate UA, I'm no cheerleader, either. Several things have me considering that all the good press I've been reading about AA might mean that getting over my grudge could serve me well.

My plan is to stay 1K on UA, but put 50,000 extra miles to work at AA to acquire Platinum status as a backup plan. Having my travel currently booked into early May, I'm wondering when might be the best time to apply for a challenge or match. If I do it sooner than I can reasonably start flying, I might not make it. If I wait too late, I may not have time to find reasonable fares. I like to book ahead (obviously), so this is going to require some planning.

The input of others who have accepted one of AA's offers would be greatly appreciated. I can do some MRs, if necessary. Can I start booking as they arise and apply for a match or challenge later, still counting my already-booked flights toward the requirement?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. :)

JetsettingEric and Newscience like this.
  2. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can request an EXP match for a later date in the year in the email with your 1K documents. I'd suggest doing it for after June (if you can schedule some flights for July-October), as that will mean, if successful, your match will be through the end of 2015/early 2016. Downside? Rumor has it that most challenges will start implementing spend requirements after June. AA obviously hasn't announced any spend requirements at all, but I fully expect them to. If you think you'd be able to spend enough (probably around $2-3,000 for the challenge, along with the miles, go for it!

Worth a try reaching out to AA now to schedule the challenge for July, and they probably won't add on a spend requirement, if they let you schedule it for that far away.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

IDGflygirl, Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think there were EXP matches at all based on the web site and things I've read here and elsewhere.

Platinum challenges have a fee component unlike UA. I'd suggest booking now while mapping out the miles needed to get PLT. Right before the travel block starts, reach out and activate the challenge.

Also, call AA before implementing and confirm the strategy.

Good luck and welcome bAAck.

Newscience likes this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice! I'm traveling now, but I'm going to call them when I get home next week. I'll report back when I have some details on their offer.

5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've switched off UA for this year. From my research, there are no EXP challenges unless you have some special in at AAdvantage (maybe UA GS.). Ask for a Platinum challenge. It takes minimal effort to finish. I flew on IAD<->SEA trip last week and I am 80% done.

[edit: my challenge cost $200. I was not granted temporary PLT status during the challenge.]

6. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several reports on FT of 1K>EXP matches. Give AAdvantage CS a call and see what they'll do for you.

Garp74 and IDGflygirl like this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The timing of this decision is uncanny. UA made a big mistake (in my view, anyway - Others have different views) on the sale to me of a partner ticket. The outbound portion began yesterday, and that's when the error was discovered. I can't try to get it resolved until tomorrow (Monday), and I'm quite confident they will make it right, but if they don't, I'll be moving 100,000 miles/year to AA, and keeping only 50,000/year on UA*.

If anyone cares about the details, the thread can be seen here.

*Edit: Most, if not all of those miles will actually be on Copa. For those not familiar with it, Copa is a Latin American airline that uses MileagePlus as their loyalty program.

8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct. It's not for just anyone who wants it, but they do have it open to UA 1Ks. The rep I spoke to advised me to wait until it gets close to time to book in order to avoid burning time before I can start using it.

UA disappointed me, so I will soon be targeting AA EXP. I haven't missed it on UA for the last few years, and I'm sure I won't miss it on AA, either. Now I'm just hoping all the bad stuff I've read about Parker doesn't leave me feeling like both airlines are equally bad. AA and UA are my only geographically reasonable options. :eek:

flyforawg likes this.
  9. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    DON'T DO IT !!! You will thank me later........ I have a post on here too. I qualified for the Platinum Status Challenge with one flight (TWICE the qualifying points that I later find were required), however, I was told they didn't offer a challenge when I asked at the time I was making a reservation. Apparently their misinformation is my problem. I wrote AA off years ago and since I don't hastily do things such as that. There was clearly a reason I did, as there is clearly a reason you did as well.

10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow... That stinks! It sounds like the same AA that drove me away twice before. (I once moved to DL until they pulled their DFW hublet and I was left hub captive.)

Just to be clear, you had registered for the challenge prior to your flight, received an approval from AA and then had the match denied by AA after having flown what they stated was required?

11. kcaluwae

kcaluwae Active Member

Status Points:
    I did 2 challenges. The moment you're subscribed for a challenge you will receive a mail that confirms it. You can set the start date to a date (1st and 15th of the month if I'm correct) in the future and this date will be confirmed in the mail. You can choose a date as you please although they always suggested me to subscribe just up front. (If I asked for a date in 6 weeks they suggested I would call back around that time.)

As you have the mail to prove your eligible I don't see how there can be any confusion.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, xhunter33x has another post making clear what happened.

He or she did not register for a challenge because (the claim is) the reservations agent told them no such challenge was available. Knowing they did not have a challenge they bought a bunch of business class tickets anyway and flew some of them. After flying, they found out that challenges are, in fact available from American.

So, a little misinformation from the reservation agent, but I'm surprised someone knowledgeable enough to even know what a status challenge is would not have been able to find out how to actually request a challenge from AAdvantage (obviously, not from the ticket agent when booking).

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange.... in that thread you started you said you were not able to sign up ( by not knowing to ask the appropriate people) so pray tell how did you actually "qualify" ?

As to your DYWKIA rambling nonsensical rants in the other thread I would surprised if anybody in their right mind who actually read it would take any advice from you:rolleyes:.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    JonNYC, Steve GadFly and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see it's available. I'm starting to think that my best bet is to wait until the end of the year so I can spend next year with both 1K and EXP status. Since I still plan to fly Copa a lot, It will be nice to have one last year of that benefit.

I don't like the idea of giving UA any more of my money this year, but my best interest trumps my desire to deprive them of revenue for just 6 additional months. Since I live outside the USA, I'll be able to do it mostly on Copa, and the UA part on the most dirt cheap fares I can find. :D

flyforawg likes this.
  15. kugkai8

kugkai8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you request a Platinum Challenge while one is still an EXP? I will lose my EXP status at the end of the month, but have some travel at the end of February and March that would probably get me close to Platinum with a challenge.

16. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you have to lose your status before you can begin a challenge.

MSYgirl and kugkai8 like this.
  17. kugkai8

kugkai8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I guess I will request one on the first of March.

MSYgirl likes this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: Since I started this thread, and many of you probably don't read the UA forum, I thought it fair to say that UA finally came around and made compensation that (although not what I wanted) was pretty darned fair. My complaint is that it took so much kicking and screaming to get it resolved, and even then they didn't do what was really the right thing - honor the ticket as booked (Some argue they did, but since it's my money and my choice of how I perceive the treatment, they can have their opinions which change nothing of my perception) - many would have probably taken what I got in lieu of what I wanted. I might have done so myself, but I am stuck on principle.

Upon closer inspection, I actually have travel booked into June. The incident that upset me has caused a shortfall in my PQMs (EQMs in AA talk), so I have decided to stay put through the end of the year, and then start my AA match/challenge at the beginning of 2015. That will give me a full year of comparing equal status on both airlines so that I can make a more informed decision thereafter. It will also give me at least one final year of 1K (EXP equiv.) on Copa, an airline that I really like.

Thanks again for the tips here. Until next year!.......