Discussions on NYC-CWL Flight Between Welsh Gov't and DL

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Aug 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Direct Flights from Cardiff to NY Could be Back on Agenda

I'm not sure Cardiff service would be ahead of Bristol or BHX, but it seems the western UK could be a potential market. Existing routing is on KL via AMS. I saw a seperate article stating that Newcastle was trying to woo direct USA service ith undisclosed carriers.

:) robin

2. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it have the same ornerous taxes & surcharges that people flying into / out-of London have to pay?

rwoman likes this.
  3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the most part, yes, but remember it's only a departure tax. (More details in this thread.) I would expect the part that's airport-based to be a lot cheaper at CWL than LHR, but the APD of ~$100 for Y will still be there.

I don't get why DL would want to serve CWL. I would think BHX would be much higher on the list. Honestly, the UK is so small that serving LHR, LGW, and a Scottish airport could be enough, but MAN is pretty important, too, so I can see that staying. Does the WAG have too much money on its hands so that it wants to start subsidizing an airline route? Seems that's the only way they could lure in this sort of flight.

rwoman likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would assume that either or both of MAN and BHX make sense, plus Scotland, in addition to London airport(s). Wales makes no sense and I would anticipate that many passengers would prefer to take the train or airport bus to LHR/LGW over doing TATL in a 757 anyway. The alternative of England-AMS/CDG-US is probably what I would prefer if it didn't involve a pre-dawn connection or a RJ.

rwoman likes this.
  5. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    MAN already has service on Delta to both ATL and JFK (ATL on a 767, JFK on a 757). BHX is in that position where it's 66 miles away from MAN and not a difficult drive (though traffic on the M1 to the M25 can be bad) to Heathrow. Throw in the fact that they've got Continental to EWR already and there might not be sufficient demand. US tried PHL a couple of years ago as a seasonal and it lasted 1-2 years. I think AA also recently tried BHX.

Not surprised to see The West want service to the US, but not sure if it's viable. If Continental struggled to make a 757 work out of BRS, where they had a monopoly on TATL flying, a strong hub in EWR (much stronger than DL's at JFK) and Bristol being more of a catchment area than Cardiff, and I don't see how this one gets off the ground.

mtkeller, rwoman and MSPeconomist like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I basically agree. I could see BHX working as an alternative to struggling to a London airport (66 miles is a lot and is expensive if one doesn' take the bus/train), especially if DL were to cut back on MAN, perhaps by smaller sircraft (it's hard for me to imagine the 757 being competitive, but I know CO does it a lot TATL) or alternating days. There must already be service between Cardiff and major London airports for connections.

rwoman likes this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the ongoing construction, coupled with accidents, the M1/M25 can be a real PITA to/from LHR via the motorways. Last Friday, the clockwise M25 and M1 northbound were a nightmare due to an accident in a construction area on the M1 northbound. I was really glad to be headed toward LHR in the taxi vice on the way home!