Discrepancies Between QF and BA Availability on LA (for AS award)

Discussion in 'KVS' started by gba, Jun 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to book an AS award (trying for C, or at least Y, on LA 601 on 2/17 LIM-SCL) and am seeing discrepancies on KVS between the two methods of searching for one world awards. Why would this be? Is there a sense as to which is more accurate? Does LAN really make different buckets of seats available to different partners?

[KVS Availability Tool 6.2.9921/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-SP1]
    Code:
    LIM  Lima J Chavez Intl PE [SPIM]
    SCL  Santiago De Chile Arturo Merino Benitez CL [SCEL]
    FRI  17 Feb 2012 | 1 Seat
    Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
    LA         601     LIM   01:15     SCL   06:35     763      CS+  YS+
    LA         531     LIM   07:10     SCL   12:35     763      CS+  YS-
    LA         637     LIM   13:00     SCL   18:25     763      CS+  YS+
    LA         2639    LIM   00:35     SCL   06:10     319      CS-  YS+
    LA         633     LIM   17:45     SCL   23:20     319      CS-  YS+
    LA         2429    LIM   08:45     EZE   15:15     763      CS+  YS-
     -> LA     532     EZE   18:10     SCL   20:30     763
    LA         2510    LIM   12:40     MIA   18:25     763      CS+  YS-
     -> LA     503     MIA   21:30     SCL   07:55 +1  763
    LA         2514    LIM   00:20     MIA   06:05     763      CS+  YS-
     -> LA     571     MIA   08:25     SCL   20:45     763

[KVS Availability Tool 6.2.9921/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/BA-OneWorld]
    Code:
    LIM  Lima J Chavez Intl PE [SPIM]
    SCL  Santiago De Chile Arturo Merino Benitez CL [SCEL]
    FRI  17 Feb 2012 | 1 Seat
    Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
    LA         531     LIM   07:10     SCL   12:35              CS+
    LA         637     LIM   13:00     SCL   18:25              CS+
    LA         633     LIM   17:45     SCL   23:20              YS+

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    In your example above, QF is showing business class open on LA531 and LA637 and coach only on LA633.

The BA engine shows the same thing.

The difference is that BA doesn't show the 2 non-stops shortly after midnight, which the QF engine does. My guess is that BA isn't showing all possible results here.

That said, QF does in some cases show phantom resuts, at least it used to for CX though I haven't checked that recently.

And for connecting itineraries it will seem to show business class available for a one-way connecting itinerary when only one of the segments (even just the shortest segment) is available in business. So I'll then check each segment separately.

My bet is (1) that if BA shows it, AS will be able to book it, (2) that the midnight-ish flights are likely available as well. And that (3) if you search the connecting segments separately as one-ways, and they're showing available on the QF engine when you search as non-stops, then AS will be able to book.

That said, it's often a function of both agent skill and familiarity with their booking interface and also technical issues, when booking through American there are problems securing seats on LAN for certain routes -- where there are actually specific routes that are ineligible for AA redemption and thus can never see those seats, I do not know whether Alaska has any routes than cannot be redeemed on LAN.

Does that help? I was kinda guess after what you were wondering about in terms of 'discrepancy'.

Would love to hear back actual data points, e.g. you called Alaska and they could or could not see certain flights that showed through one engine or another.

3. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply Gary. I'm trying to get seats on LA 601 and Alaska agents tell me they aren't seeing anything available :(

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Makes sense though.

I find BA website availability for partners best matches what I can get via AA.

5. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Good guess!

In fact, the QF engine will not even show flights departing before 07:00 [am] if accessed without the use of the KVS Tool.

From http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Q32:

Q 32: What should I do if the KVS Tool shows award seats available, but the agent claims otherwise?
    A: Here are some suggestions:

[..]

* If the agent cannot see the flight at all and the flight departs very early (e.g. 03 am) or very late (e.g. 23:50), the agent needs to specify a departure time in their system.

6. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    KVS,

In your experience should BA availability on Lan equal Qantas availability on Lan (and, hopefully, Alaska availability on Lan)?

7. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Having just verified with LAN directly, the results from the [Awards/BA-OneWorld] Method are the most accurate -- there is actually no [Standard] Award Availability on LA 601 in either Y or C.