Discover It Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by vickers, Sep 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just signed up for Discover It Miles card and I wanted to see what everyone's take is on it.

Basically its a 1.5% cash back card, but there are 2 features that really drew me to it:

-Double Miles Your First Year (Automatically double all the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year on your Miles card—only for new cardmembers) - This turns it into a 3% cash back card for the first 12 billing cycles.

-In-flight Wi-Fi on Us (Your Discover it® Miles card will reimburse up to $30 of your in-flight Wi-Fi purchases each year with automatic credits to your statement)

For a no annual fee credit card, the features are great. I doubt Ill use it a ton outside the first year, but this will probably be my go-to card during the first year if I am not trying to meet minimum spend on others.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's also a deal for 10% c.b. (to be doubled in a year) for purchases with Apple Pay, that will last for a couple of months. Unfortunately, it will require a new model iPhone (and a plan to go with it), so the extra cost will most likely cancel the benefits -- unless you've got nothing else to do for the next 2 months than figuring out and gaming all the wrinkles of that deal.

vickers likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my limited recent experience, that doesn't get you very far with GoGo.

The 3% is nice. How widely accepted are Discover cards these days for daily spend? I never had one, so I haven't really paid any attention to it.

vickers likes this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I havent looked into the pricing, but Im sure you are right. ;)

I think it is more widely accepted than American Express, but not nearly as Visa and MasterCard.

I don't think I have ever seen a store that accepts Visa, MasterCard, and American Express without accepting Discover.

5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an iPhone 6, but never looked into Apple Pay. I just upgraded to IOS9 today, and Apple Pay is now on the home screen. I need to check it out.

Anyone used Apple Pay before?

Edit: So I couldn't find a ton of information on it, but it looks like you just link and start using. Didn't see where you had to register or any exclusions, but I am sure there are some:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...-apple-pay-on-sept-16-with-10-cash-back-offer

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    MX likes this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you already have the right hardware, just load your Discover card into Apple Pay and start spending. The limit is $10K (for the max c.b. of $2K). Gift cards are officially excluded, but Discover may or may not be able to enforce this. Check here for the endless stream of details.

vickers likes this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Discover is now owned by MasterCard. So usually you will find that V/MC/Discover are accepted at most places. If Discover is not accepted, it is because the processor, not the merchant does not accept it.

At my store, I recently changed to Gravity Payments. (The one with the Minimum Wage of $70K) and they process Visa/MC/Disc/Amex at decent rates and are saving me about $150/month over my previous processor. The previous processor started adding nuisance fees that meant that almost a third of my monthly processing was "Fees" other than the standard discount rate.

vickers, flyforawg and MX like this.