Discover Card and the ShopDiscover website

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by volsfan, Jul 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have thought about this issue before, but never was motivated to mention it online before today: I buy something on shopdiscover.com with my Discover Card (promising, as an example, 5% back), the billing arrives, but I receive nothing but the normal points for that item. When I call and ask about it, the scenario is always the same--they say it can take 6-8 weeks for those points to post. Well, as far as I know they have never posted in the past, because there is never a breakout in the later statements that the points are for earlier purchases on shopdiscover.com. I really think this is a poor way of doing business; if there is a delay, they can at least document in those later statements that x points are for shopdiscover previous billing periods. When I point this out to the phone rep, she simply says, "that's how it's done." It sounds to me like a good way of evading points posting problems.

MX likes this.
  2. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    This hasn't been my experience but I will keep an eye out on future purchases.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always get an email that I earned extra cashback from a purchase through shopdiscover. I suspect that you might have cookie problem.

4. Rambo

Rambo Member

Status Points:
    Either that, or he's not signed up for email alerts.

5. joeheg

joeheg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always received the 5-10% on the ShopDiscover purchases. For online, I usually get an email saying the money is being deposited. For a hotel stay booked on Expedia.com, the credit didn't post until I actually stayed at the hotel. After checking out, I received an email before getting back home.

6. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know if the Discover 5% cashback is taxed if I redeem as a credit statement?

7. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 2% cash back on my Fidelity Amex was not taxed when I was regularly using that card. That was in 2010 and 2011.

Stiga9 likes this.
  8. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

9. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe I am right in saying that the Feds see that as a rebate rather than income.