Discover America® Daily Getaways: Priority Club® points on sale, 4/27/11, at noon ET

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Kohoutek, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    $67: 10,000 points (650 available)​

$167: 25,000 points (120 and 420 available)​

$267: 40,000 points (300 available)​

Use any American Express Card to get an extra 10% off.​

4/12/11 ETA: quantity available

cordray2643 and sobore like this.
  2. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not overly exciting offers.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  3. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL... With a little extra effort, PC itself gives better rates currently :)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, buying points+cash and refunding will usually yield a better return, even with Amex 10% discount.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  5. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, but there is a difference between the trick and buying PC points from Discover America. :)

Jett Rink likes this.
  6. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Duh, uh, yeah, I'd assume so.

Are you trying to point out something else? That buying them this way gives you gold/plat status? If so, just spit it out. ;)

I had PC Plat status by mid January, so not much of a challenge for me.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly not a wise move to buy points to achieve gold status.
    Not so sure PC will have many takers with this ‘promo’

Tim O'Brien and JohnDeere19 like this.
  8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even Plat isn't overly exciting.

sobore likes this.
  9. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, it doesn't make sense to buy points solely to achieve status, but it is a marginal side benefit if you have already made tthe decision to buy through this promo.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Meh.

11. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would seem if you're looking at this from a buying status perspective, you'd be better off buying an RA referral certificate online --- generally $500-$600, and those benefits are certainly worth it if you're planning on some IC stays.

12. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    IHG benefits vary from location to location. I'm currently staying at a Crowne Plaza on PB nights. As a RA/Plat, I got upgraded to the club floor, with full club access. I think all Platinum members would get the same thing.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the upgrades I've gotten at HIEX, HI and Crowne Plaza hotels. Mostly in Asia, but have gotten some nice goodies in the US, as well.

In Bangkok, booked the HI Silom last year. Got an automatic 1 level upgrade. Book the second lowest room (Premier, I tbink), and get club access. Easily worth the $10 difference in price at the time. CP Changi in SIN, have been getting suite upgrades the last couple of visits.

If you really think you'll get good use out of Platinum, I see no problem with buying the points. Not a super deal dollar wise, but for getting status, and doing some point stays it's reasonable.

There have been rumors of IHG doing away with Pointbreaks, which are the best value for these points. 80% of my points each year are used for PB nights, and I have redeemed almost 60 nights in the last 12 months.

13. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've already gotten 254K from 30 stays this year. I rarely pay more than $120 per stay. Estimate that I have spent a max of $3600 for those 30 stays, giving me an effective 69.4 points per dollar spent (it is probably more). So even the smallest pack(10K for $67) is a decent value at 149.25 points per dollar spent. I guess it is all about the value of having the points.

Just my 2 cents.

viguera likes this.
  14. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    IHG has increased the number of packages offered this year. Last year, the packages totaled to 20,000,000 points. This year, the total is 32,000,000 with a total selling price of $213,830 (not including Amex "discount")

15. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me it all depends where you would use those points. $267 for 40k for a night at an Interncontinental is a pretty sweet deal if you are going to be swinging by Rome or Paris. If I am heading down the road to Monterey it would be a total waste.

You have to remember not all of us travel enough to earn hundreds of thousands of points a year so we have to make do with such promotions.

16. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was under the assumption that the refunding cash and points loophole had been closed? I would love to hear that it hasn't :)

sdcarver

17. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone here have experience with buying points through Discover America?

sdcarver

18. synd
    Original Member

synd Silver Member

Status Points:
    did for the hyatt sale, 6 days ago, got a 30K package and the points posted yesterday.

sdcarver likes this.
  19. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did it last for a friend's account in December. Points post (but not towards status). Haven't heard that it no longer works, but not paying close attention.

sdcarver likes this.
  20. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback synd and Jaimito--I was looking at the possibility of it going towards Elite Status to stay Priority Platinum though... :(

sdcarver

21. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled a cash & points night that I actually didn't need at the last minute and I can confirm that it still works.

However, I'm curious as to whether or not this would get flagged somewhere... it only makes sense that it would, but I don't know if anybody ever got a letter/call about it :)

22. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What's the worse that could happen? They'd refund your credit card. Unless they change the t&c, it's pretty safe.

23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood... I'm just thinking that if you purchase points directly from PC without any promotion, 10k points would cost you $125. By using "other methods" (again, not counting any promotions) the cost could around $60. Granted, the old "I didn't make the rules" adage probably applies, but I'm wondering if anybody would notice a rash of points & cash + cancellations.

Not that it really matters in the end though... the cancellation points don't count towards elite status so they're not really worth it unless you actually need them for something.

24. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
  25. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did anyone manage to get anything?

Zippo here. Partly my fault as I didn't drag my butt out of bed until after just after 9. However, have to say I think there might be website glitches as some offers I click on and it comes up with the message Try Again, others nothing happens.

Jett Rink likes this.