Discount price is not always what shown on first page after search on Hyatt website

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Jenny & Curt, Jun 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bit hard to explain what I mean here, but I'll try:
    I search Chicago, Illinois, for June 26, 1 night, indicating COSTCO in special offer code and clicking the Senior Discount radio button. Results display as:
    Find Hotels Chicago Hyatt.jpg

Then, when I click through one of the prices that doesn't appear too bad, like, perhaps, Hyatt O'Hare at $139, I actually see that the Senior Rate is (buried below the Regency Club rate) actually only $118.15, a rate I was not able to see after my first search. Very cumbersome, then, to check properties in a region one by one to see what my actual best rate will be:
    Hyatt O'Hare senior rate.jpg
    Anyone else experienced this or know of a workaround?

2. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this as well. Sometimes the lower rate (e.g. AAA Promo rate) doesn't show up.

3. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've seen the same thing the last month or so - I think they are discouraging improper usage of the promo rates (AAA, Senior, Corporate, Government etc).

karung99 likes this.
  4. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found you have to check multiple options to see the best rate. It only shows a couple of options at a time. This is really frustrating and time consuming when trying to decide between properties, especially homogenous HPs. I wish they would adopt the Starwood model which allows you to select a few rate plans and shows those rates for all the hotels in the area.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Echo the frustration above for markets with multiple Hyatts. However, I'm NOT a fan of the changes SPG has made to their booking engine. I preferred the old format. On whole, it's not like I'd give either SPG or Hyatt an A+ for website functionality. I'd probably lean towards Hyatt in terms of preferred functionality right now.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the example above, could it be that senior discount and AARP rates are technically defined differently, perhaps the senior rates only requiring an age and ID to prove it while AARP requires a membership card? I would imagine that AARP is common in North America and the alternate senior rates more typical overseas.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It could be for this specific example. But, I've seen the same thing on AAA rates, and on the prepaid rates. I've verified with Hyatt that my AAA info is loaded correctly, and the prepaid rates don't need any input from me.

Kaanapali likes this.
  8. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, the rates that Hyatt shows on its results page do not include any special offers such as AAA, Senior Citizen, AARP and the like. Even twitter only codes from Hyatt sometimes do not show on the initial results page. Advance purchase rates may or may not show, but limited time offer rates do show. It is a bit of a hodgepodge to say the least......

What I find additionally annoying is that if you do click on a hotel for its specific rates, you seemingly only get one page of results (even when you know, from previous booking at that hotel, about the availability of other rates). For example, a rate search at GHR Poipu will show AAA rates if you search for them, or senior citizen rates if you search for them, but one cannot search AAA AND senior citizen rates together ....