discount economy Q fare - some questions

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gaucho, May 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Folks... sorry for the dumb questions but Ive been out of the FF game for sooo long that I need help. If I book a deeply discounted Q fare for an American flight (EZE-JFK-LAX and return), do I still get 100% mileage credit to AAdvantage...?

Also, does somebody know if this fare, flown on AA metal, will be valid for mileage accrual to LanPass (LAN´s ff program) and if I will get 100% credit...?

Thanks very much,
    Gaucho

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Gaucho, I noticed you got this question answered elsewhere (rather dismissively I might add ;)) but I still wanted to give you an answer in case anyone on MP saw this thread.

Generally speaking, you'll earn full miles on any AA fare that is paid for and credited toward an AAdvantage account. Fares booked in O class to Latin America do not qualify for mileage accrual though. Since your fare is booked in Q, you'll be fine.

For LanPass, you'll also be able to receive full mileage (or should I say kilometerage?) from AA's Q fare based on their website linked to here.

Enjoy your trip! :)

DeltaExpert and jp1960 like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you kindly David... yes, the tone over on TOBB was quite nasty.

Thanks very much,
    Alex / Gaucho

Tenmoc likes this.
  4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    What else is new. Q fares are your friend if you're buying Y on AA. When I see them I usually buy because its often cheapest available in the market.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    On UA some Q fares are fully refundable, does this apply to any of the AA Q fares?

Tenmoc likes this.
  6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that I'm aware of. Q is one of if not the lowest most restricted fare on AA.

sobore likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys, greatly appreciated.

Looks like I just may pull the trigger on this.... will be flying up via DFW it seems as my first meeting will be in Houston.

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guys.... Im back. I now have a reservation on hold on aa.com but it looks like Ive mixed a couple of fare classes.... Im now flying on L, M and Q fares.... can someone confirm if all these fares qualify for mileage accrual on AAdvantage...? Also, what about LAN Pass...? Im thinking that if some of these fares dont give full accrual on LAN I will park them in AA where Im guessing they will earn full credit.

Thanks....
    Alex / Gaucho

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm they will all earn at AA. LAN as well as long as you don't buy the Q fare in europe.

LAN's chart for AA codes.

Economy Y, S, G, L, K, H, M, Q (3), B, W, V, N 100% kms. flown

Gaucho likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Chris !!!

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chris.... I see above that the Q fare code has a (3)... is there small print...? My fare basis has changed again.... I have some segments in Q.... do I need to worry..??

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do VIPOWs still exist on AA or am I dating myself...? Are they good for Q or V or similar discounted economy fares...??

I have to apologize (again) for all the childish questions.... :oops:

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

The (3) links to small print that specifies that Q fares sold in Europe do not qualify for mileage accrual. You're going South America to the US though, so assuming you're not buying this from Europe you should be fine.

I'm assuming you mean AA's upgrade instrument given to EXPs? They're called SWUs now, but they do still exist and they're usable on any fare class on AA metal. It has to be on an AA code as well though.

Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David for answering this. It was my understanding it was Q fares purchased in Europe, but I'll go with your more restrictive flights to europe in Q.

But Alex, your itin will not be of worry with Q. Q is fine for your trip. To either LAN or AA programs.

Gaucho and DestinationDavid like this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually I went back to read the rules and I think you're correct, it's the point of sale not the destination that matters. I read a word incorrectly.

All updated, thanks!

Gaucho likes this.