Discontinues Cards, Worth Holding onto?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Muerl, Feb 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do have a specific card in mind, but this is somewhat of a generic question.

Sometimes cards are no longer offered, when are they worth hanging onto?

I have a Chase United MileagePlus Select card, which I got nearly two years ago and will be up for its fee soon.

It has a nice set of bonus categories, 2x on Gas, Groceries, Restaurants, Home Improvement, and all *A purchases, plus 3x on purchases at United.com, and 1x EQMs.

Leaving out the United.com bonus, CSP seems to cover Restaurants and *A, and I had been using my HHonors Surpass for Gas/Groceries though with the devaluation there that raises questions.

Basically I am debating the fee. Or perhaps will I spend the money at home depot and united.com next year to justify it.

Am I looking at this wrong?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the same UA card. I will keep it for the 3x on United purchases, the 5000 RDM annual bonus and the 5k EQM for United spend. The annual fee ($95, I believe) is discounted by $60 for 1Ks.

I have spent $5000+ between me and my wife on united.com tickets already this year, so I get at least 20,000 RDM via the bonus category spend and the annual bonus. And the 5k EQM will likely be helpful in getting Platinum status (save me a MR). Last year it helped me secure 1K status.

Other cards (SPG and AA Visa, I am looking at you) are on the chopping block for the annual fee, but the UA Select card is a keeper for me.

travelpye and Muerl like this.
  3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot about the annual bonus. I sad down and looked at my spending the past 6 months since i have owned a rental property its been about 2k at home depot so between the two of them this one likely will stick around.

travelpye likes this.
  4. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a somewhat related note, what do you guys see happening with the lineup of cards from Barclay's and CITI once the merger is completed? New cards from CITI? Will our Barclay's cards go away?

5. murphbc

murphbc Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the Barclays card, its likely to be switched to a different type of rewards card. My bet would be the Barclays arrival card.

6. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    While we are on the US Airways train, Barclay's turned me down for the 35 no fee offer today. Told me it was ONLY for elite members of US Airways.

7. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, they had started checking Chairman's status of applicants. Supposedly there's something in the TCs that might get around this, but I haven't heard of the outcome yet.

8. PHLFlyer

PHLFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Did they do a hard pull on your credit score? Or does that only happen if you were to be approved?

9. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also have the Select, it was my first mileage card. The last 2 years I have been successful getting 10k retention offers in addition to the 5k annual bonus which basically means I was buying 15k MP miles for $95 not a bad deal considering the features the card has.

I am fighting the same dilemma with the HHonors card because we had shifted the grocery to it (my wife has a USAA card that is giving her 5% cash back on gas for one year.) 5%>6HH/2MP IMO

10. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    They told me that I was rejected BEFORE they pulled my credit so it was not on my credit report.

11. PHLFlyer

PHLFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Cheers, thanks. (Still a newb at this)

12. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would add a data point here for people, I called to see if they could offer me anything in exchange for not canceling my card. All they told me they could offer for the Select card was a pair of club passes. Which I took because they were better than a stick in the eye, but not that much more.

I kept the card for the above mentioned reasons, though more miles would have been nice.

13. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought I would come back a year later and add to this.

This year United offered me $100 statement credit or 10,000 miles. I did a fair amount of grocery store MS this year, which I suspect is what had them give me a better offer. Though the rep mentioned that "Over the 3 years you have had the card you really blew it out of the water"

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me that I need to call Citi and try and get a NAF replacement for my oldest card that I may never cancel...

15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have the United Card, but for rental properties, love the Ink and 5X with the HIGC from OM. got 77,000 points this month on one Ink Card and can move the to United if needed...SW CP working for the next 2 years also...

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for reporting back. How much did you roughly spend over the last year?

Muerl likes this.
  17. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    ~19k about 16k in Grocery Store MS and then the rest in 'Normal' Spending almost all in Grocery Store / Home Improvement / Gas and Auto

*edit*

Jesus. I figured out how to make the query for all cards. I did 128k MS in the last 365.

RIP Vanilla Reload.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    gconnery likes this.
  18. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well since a BB is worth 5K x 12 = 60K per year, I suspect the number of people doing 120K + per year (two BBs, one for self and one for partner) that frequent boards like this isn't tiny. I'm probably only doing half that since I just have a single BB though I've been trying a few other tricks lately.