Disappointment with Hyatt Customer Service and the Grand Hyatt NY

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by ab3i, Nov 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    My co-worker (a GP diamond member) and I checked into the Grand Hyatt NY on 01 Nov, 201, and that's when the fun begins:
    • The room I was given already had a guest checked in. The bags prominently visible upon opening the door, so I didn't enter the room (for safety reasons)
    • I go back to the front desk, and inform them. At first, they insist that there is no one else in the room, and the bags must be mine (which was mildly amusing), however they said they will try to figure it out
    • The front desk agent disappears from time to time and we are left waiting without any information
    • I am told the hotel is overbooked, and they do not know whom they have checked into my room
    • The hotel manager (Benjamin Gordon) finally shows up (after approximately 40 minutes) and excitedly tells me and my co-worker that they are giving us both rooms on the concierge floor, however due to renovations the concierge lounge is closed as well as there is no hot water available between 10pm and 6am
    • The hotel manager offers us compensation in the form of 22k GP points as well as offers to pay for our dinner at the hotel restaurant. We deny the compensation, however after they ask us again, we accept the points, and thank them for finding us rooms (even if there is no hot water available in the night)
    • My co-worker got her 22k points after a couple of days, however after 4 weeks I still have no points. My co-worker and I have both tried calling customer service which just transfers us to the Grand Hyatt NY, and the manager (Ben Gordon) is never available, and doesn't believe in returning calls. The front desk always gives us the same response, that this will be taken care of 'soon'
    Now as a consultant who stays in hotels for 90% of the year, i understand that mistakes happen at check-in. However, what i do not understand is how Hyatt can have such disappointing customer service. I was contemplating switching back to Hyatt (from MR and SPG) as they finally have a property near my client site, however after this lovely experience I am not so sure anymore.

2. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi ab3i,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having receiving these points. I'm more than happy to look into this if you could please message us your details.

Sincerely,
    Chrissi R.

3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Personally, I feel the only disappointing customer service in your case was the points not posting to your account and the lack of communication from the GM. The compensation is rather great in my opinion and I'm sure others would agree.

You shouldn't judge your loyalty with a situation like this... Hyatt treats their Diamond guests very well...

EDIT: Hyatt GP Concierge comes to the rescue :)

cennas, alohastephen, kenbo and 3 others like this.
  4. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chrissi, Thank you for your response, I am sent in my details to you.

alohastephen, Jimgotkp and uggboy like this.
  5. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the compensation offered is quite generous, however following up on this for ~ 4 weeks is not a positive indicator. If the Hyatt GP concierge is able to help me, i guess my faith in customer service will be restored :)

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was your coworker getting compensation for?

7. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Story is a little confusing did you share a room with co-worker?

alohastephen likes this.
  8. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, she had her own room

9. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know, I am assuming because she is a Diamond GP and was waiting along with me while this was all unfolding. Lucky her? :)

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ask her to transfer the points to you (the one who experienced the problem). Case closed :)

11. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about your poor experience. I just left this hotel yesterday after business in NYC and was blown away at how nice it is after the renovations. I stayed here last year with my family and it was getting quite run down. Now after the renovation not only is it nicer but the staff seems to be happier.

12. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am glad its better, and that the renovations are done, maybe the next time i am there my experience will be better

13. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha, have you ever met a consultant willing to part with their points for free? :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chrissi, my Hyatt account is not 20K points richer, thank you so much :)

alohastephen likes this.
  15. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry, that should have been 'Now' instead of 'Not' :|