Disappointed in milepoint's endorsement of Susan G. Komen

Discussion in 'Susan G. Komen Foundation | Fly For Pink' started by unavaca, Oct 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I am a strong advocate of breast cancer research, I feel that Susan G. Komen is a regrettable choice as far as breast cancer organizations go. There are many organizations who are more fiscally responsible (see http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=497) and less politically-motivated (search Bing or Google for "Susan G. Komen Politics") who ought to be more worthy of milepoint endorsement.

I hope milepoint can reconsider its decision to support Komen or have a way for members to opt-out of Komen-branding.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can change it in Preferences.

http://milepoint.com/forums/account/preferences

PanAm, iolaire and unavaca like this.
  3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's also a link in the very bottom left corner of the screen. Look for "Milepoint Default Style Pink," click it, and then click "Milepoint Default Style." The pink and the Komen logo all go away.

I agree with your points regarding this particular charity. I don't think there's any charity that could be selected that wouldn't be controversial to at least some people. I do hope that Milepoint will take into consideration issues such as the percentage of donations actually used for a charity's stated cause, not marketing and administration, with future choices. And, I'd also suggest other cancer research as well, as there are many other cancer research organizations out there that are in dire need of donations, which don't get nearly the attention that breast cancer does. That's not to discount the awful nature of that disease, but it isn't the only form of cancer that deserves the public's attention and support.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    2011: 15% of donations went into research (source). So the wrong charity for you (and me), IMO.

6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that this is a PR disaster for my support of MP. I am frankly aghast that MP would support this charity. Opting out of pink branding doesn't make it any better.

7. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stopped supporting them when the backed out of their support of Planned Parenthood.

Although they have since reversed their decision - or at least that they will continue with new grants - I was very disappointed in that one specific decision and their inability to stand-up to petty politics.

As I have learned more about the organization, I am even more opposed to helping this bureaucracy with their total lack of responsibility.

People think it is cool that "other people" see that they are wearing the pink, but it is disappointing to see Komen get the publicity when there are so many respected organizations that will use the money - and make decisions -- more wisely.

I strongly urge MilePoint to drop their support of Komen and find an alternate Women's health organization to support.

8. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your source. I'd like to think that Komen is not only the wrong charity for me and you, but for pretty much anyone.

Sent from a tiny keyboard.

9. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - I really dislike the all-pink layout as it was uncomfortable on my eyes. While I'm glad to know I could change it, I was also a little put off by it being forced to be my default color. It's cool that MP puts a lot of efforts into charities but I'm not sure selecting one to be the main website default "advertisement" is the best idea, IMHO.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind if MP advertises for a charity, even if it's not a charity of my choice. But don't hurt my eyes. If there hadn't been a style switcher, I would have been forced to hack something up.

theblakefish and PanAm like this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bingo. Army of Women's a better charity.

bk3day, unavaca, violist and 2 others like this.
  12. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Perhaps I can share a little light on this.

We don't see Komen or any other name when it comes to supporting helping others. We only see the major health problem that is breast cancer. It is rare that I encounter any member of Milepoint that can't trace to a friend, family member or acquaintance someone who has not come face-to-face with this life-altering thing called cancer. Komen, like most organizations, faces their own challenges but it is clear that they have been the global leader in the breast cancer movement. As for the Charity Navigator ranking, it also shows that for four prior years they earned a 4-Star ranking indicating at the time a highly-rated fiscally responsible and financially responsible organization and it is certainly our hope that with recent executive changes in that organization they quickly regain the 4-Star rating they once had prior to the recent downgrade to a 3-Star rating. Whether those executive changes were related to the politics you refer to I do not know. What I do know is that breast cancer remains incurable as a whole with some progress in areas. That's simply not good enough for us. While it is likely that there is no magic cure in the next few years and that awareness and education programs have yet to prove that anyone can escape diagnosis in the first place, there is comfort in knowing that those whose lives are affected by this terrible health problem now at least have a choice of many support systems to turn to. We'll support as many as we can.

The Milepoint Cares program is a work in progress and in early November you'll see the efforts of months of work toward the program we initially have worked for since the launch of Milepoint. Regardless of your own charity-of-choice, if you'll hold your thoughts until then and see what kind of program we are putting in place, I think you'll fully appreciate that while we tend to provide some starting points for our members, we as a community care about many.

13. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Every member has a better charity which is personal to them. Once we fully launch our Milepoint Cares program in early November, you'll have an opportunity to define and support those that are best to you. And actually Army of Women (Love/Avon) is a known charity-of-choice by me. I've always liked it for their devotion to research. Please stat tuned...

YULtide, Flyer1976 and IDGflygirl like this.
  14. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Randy. While I personally share the same concerns as many other people regarding Susan G. Komen and I personally choose not to support them I think it's equally important to appreciate you are doing something positive. For one thing, raising awareness certainly is important. And if someone wants to give money to a charity they believe in I'm all for it even if I might choose a different one. I'm even more pleased to hear work is in progress to make it easier for us to have a choice. Outstanding, and thank you!

15. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, appreciate the support. — and never assume that I don't share the same concerns. But I will not walk away from helping the cause to cure cancer, educating others about cancer and empowering those affected by cancer and it seems you understand that. Should one day you or some other member face this terrible health problem or even some one you know, we will be part of that fight.

FriendlySkies, YULtide and IDGflygirl like this.
  16. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that anyone here is against supporting causes that deal with cancer, per se, but I believe that there is a strong interest in supporting research for all types of cancer and other devastating diseases.

YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  17. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should be pointed out that the pink "National Breast Cancer Awareness Month" is not ENTIRELY about Komen, although they are a sponser.

There are several groups involved, including the American Cancer Society and the National Cancer Institute. While Komen started the pink ribbon movement, and is most closely associated with it, they are not exclusive to it any longer.

More information here: http://www.nbcam.org/#partners1

I understand the hesitancy toward Komen, and the anger from one side of the political aisle, but displaying a pink banner, or wearing something pink, or a pink ribbon does not, today = I support Komen.

Hell, my wife & I don't like Komen (for the 15%, could care less about the spit-ball war between them and PP) but we still participate in their annual race. Mainly because it's timed perfectly at the start of running season and it's a great first shot out before the 10K's and 1/2 marathons start.

18. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perfect! I'm not saying that Komen's work isn't important, but I personally won't support them given other aspects of their politics, so I'm glad to hear there will be better options coming up. :)

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What pink on MP? My MP remains blue as always.

20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a day when the pages were all pink to support BC awareness.

As for support of Komen, like others, I thought that SGK was losing its focus and becoming politicized. As Randy has mentioned, recent change at the Executive level (CEO and Founder Brinker and Pres Thomson) will hopefully allow the Komen Foundation to refocus its efforts.

Probably as much as anyone on hear, I value the need for medical research (and have been disappointed with some of the things SGK has done), but I think we should consider that the highest survival success rates are for early detection (Stage 0-II) and that increased awareness and self-detection are associated with the historical efforts of SGK and other Breast Cancer Societies around the world.

YULtide and IDGflygirl like this.
  21. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    As a past marketing and fundraising employee of a major non-profit in the states, I can see how Komen tripped up as an organization... but I can also appreciate the HUGE amount of good they've done for the cause in general.

Don't quote me on this because I'm out of this stats game now, but something like 22% of women in a past survey (done by my organization) said breast cancer was the single disease they fear most. The cause I was fundraising for (which is the #1 killer of women in America): 9.7%. That might not be the exact statistics anymore, but it goes to show that awareness is up tremendously and depending on how you look at it, awareness can be a lot more valuable than research funding. Prevention and check-ups are huge with most diseases. Not defending everything Komen does, just wanted to give my two cents from working in the industry for awhile.

That said, we at Milepoint are donating to a total of twelve organizations during the month of October. I hope you can find multiple that you could stand behind with us. Post: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/milepoint-donates-to-suport-nbcam.48412/

22. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1