Disappointed in Hyatt Diamond status so far

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Bxian, May 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bxian

Bxian Active Member

Status Points:
    I am a longtime Hilton Honors Gold (and sometimes Diamond) member. I heard positive things about the Hyatt Gold Passport program and decided to go for a Diamond trial, since I have a conference coming up at a Hyatt. Hyatt granted me the opportunity to participate in the Diamond trial. Unfortunately, it has been downhill from there:
    1. Bonus points have not always posted.
    2. I tried to use one of my confirmed suite upgrades and was told that I could not do so. As a Hilton Diamond, I found that the Diamond desk was able to intercede and get me a confirmed club room on an award stay even when a hotel in a popular location (Barbados) was hosting a conference. With Hyatt, I am being told that I can't use a confirmed suite upgrade for a paid stay when I called to ask if I can use one of my 4 suite upgrades that are showing up in my account.
    3. I got the Hyatt credit card as a Diamond and have 2 free nights in a suite available as a result of getting that card. These are already showing up in my account. I tried to book the Grand Hyatt Kauai to use the 2 free suite nights and was told that there are no suite award nights available even though the Hyatt website clearly shows suite availability for my travel dates. The Hyatt reps keep trying to tell me that a "Club room" is the same as a suite, and have booked me in that type of room, even though I suspect that this is not the case. A rep told me that the hotel is not busy and has "plenty of available rooms" during my stay.

I have not received a new Hyatt card showing Diamond status as of yet, so I don't have access to a Diamond phone number (if there is one). I have found the regular phone reps to be polite and friendly, but not well versed in the Diamond benefits. I would like to try to get the 25 nights in to re-qualify, but if I can't use the advertised benefits, I am wondering if I should try. Does anyone have any suggestions in terms of getting to use the advertised benefits?

folex386 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you've done a lot of spending on Hilton. Although Hyatt offered to match your status at Hilton, you're actually a new customer for them, right? It appears Hyatt may be trying to differentiate the benefits they deliver to their true elite customer to the new "challenge offer" responders. So I wouldn't be too upset that you're getting fewer freebies that you'd expected.
    On the other hand, any deception with those "match" or "challenge" deals should be at least somewhat annoying. So I appreciate your sharing this experience.

folex386, Global Explat and jbcarioca like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all, when you call and give your GP number which is Diamond, ask for the Diamond direct dial number and then ask to be transferred to a Diamond agent.

I've generally felt well treated as a new Diamond, but in some properties the suite upgrades only get you a junior suite, basically a large room with a sitting area but not a larger bathroom. This can be disappointing.

4. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, when calling mention that you are diamond and see if they will transfer you. The agents are extremely polite and friendly and I really value Hyatt's customer service. I would try calling back again if possible because if a room is bookable it should be available to you. At least that has been my experience.

Global Explat and jbcarioca like this.
  5. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bonus or stay not posting is a known issue at gold passport, but it is something they are working hard to improve on. Most, if not all of my stays in 2012 have posted correctly. In the event of delayed posting, they used to offer 50% bonus points, but I'm not sure whether they still do that, given that all of my stays have posted correctly.

Secondly, confirmed suite upgrade is only available when they have a suite (generally junior suite) available in the inventory. Keep checking and calling as an inventory may open up at any time. Also, emailing the front office manager may help. I have successfully used a suite upgrade award at a property at which the junior suite was sold out. I found that most gold passport agents play "by the rule", and the manager at the specific property can override in the case that the junior (or equivalent) suite is unavailable during your stay.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My wife and I just completed staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. A club room is not the same as a suite. However, the service I have received at the hotel has been fantastic. I can not say enough positive things about the service and room we received.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And an email will fix it, plus if it's your Diamond amentiy bonus that doesn't post, you get a 50% bonus on it for your trouble.

There has to be a standard suite available to use a confirmed suite upgrade. There are some properties without a lot of suites, and others with high demand for those suites, so it's not always possible if other Diamonds have already taken the inventory of allowable suites or paying guests have. In general I've had no problem using my suite upgrades, but they're not available on every stay especially last minute.

Meanwhile I do not really see what point there is comparing it to Hilton getting you a club room? It's rarely the case in my experience that a club level room is any different than a 'regular' room other than (1) club access [which you would get anyway as a Hilton Diamond, and will get as a Hyatt DIamond] and (2) being on the club floor (ie location).

Actually being in a club room isn't something I've ever considered much of an upgrade, except perhaps in Asia where being in such a room may come with upgraded bath amenities and sometimes other benefits besides lounge access, such as complimentary pressings.

There's a difference between 'plenty of available rooms' and 'plenty of available standard suites'. The Grand Hyatt Kauai is one of the tougher properties in the world to secure a free suite night at. These free suite nights are very valuable but not all that surprising that for a given set of dates you're having difficulty at the GH Kauai. Sorry!

I'd suggest asking the regular phone agents for the Diamond #.

8. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi BXIAN,

We're also over here on MilePoint. You can reach us over here as well as on FT. If you would like, you can message us through whatever you're more comfortable with. We're happy to assist you!

Sincerely,

Nick B.

9. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    While a Hyatt Diamond, my wife and I stayed at the GH Kauai and were in a Club Room, not a suite. But our overall stay there was one of the best hotel stays we've ever had -- below the PH Sydney, but not by much. We never felt deprived because we didn't have a suite.

folex386 likes this.
  10. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And this is one of the reasons why I think Hyatt has wonderful customer service that is always willing to help!

11. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked a suite at this same hotel in the past on a Diamond Challenge period (that is, I was a temporary Diamond due to a challenge) . I was given a great corner suite. It was the best suite upgrade I had ever received from them. I've also had a great response at the Hyatt R on Maui. Always a pleasant experience so far with either ;)

Tenmoc and TAHKUCT like this.
  12. Bxian

Bxian Active Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear that others have had more positive experiences and thanks to Nick B. for offering to help. I had two separate Hyatt stays over the Memorial Day weekend, and will be in touch with Nick as soon as those points have time to post.
    For the confirmed suite upgrade, it was at the Hyatt Regency Chicago where the hotel is sold out for the conference. However, I arrive several days vbefore the conference where there is plenty of availability at all suite levels ( junior on up). I would be fine with a suite for the first 2 nights and then switching, which I will address with Nick.
    The Kauai stay is not in high season-and there is a garden suite available for the first night of our stay. A rep on the regular Hyatt line told me that he. Could handle Diamond requests when I asked to be transferred to the Diamond line-and then proceeded to tell me (incorrectly) that a club room is the same as a suite.

13. Bxian

Bxian Active Member

Status Points:
    I also want to thank GLeff for inspiring me to book our Kauai trip. I saw him speak at Frequent Traveler U in April and was inspired to get the Alaska Airlines Visa after listening to his tips. Pancake machine, here we come :)

tommy777 and gleff like this.
  14. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hyatt does not (and has not for a few years) have dedicated Diamond agents - calling in on the Diamond number simply puts you in front of the queue. When they first did this, there were lots of reports of agents giving out incorrect basic information. It was then that on TOBB, members were offerred assignment of a dedicated Private Line Agents. Since then, they have improved quite a bit and I have not heard any reported bad information (attrociously so) recently.