Disappearing Vanilla?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Muerl, Sep 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I just spent a month in a point and mile wasteland where there were no CVSs and the WalMart couldn't do Debt reloads of Bluebird.
    I got back to Boston 2 days ago and the usual CVS had plenty of VRs. I bought 3k, because she rang up 6 and then called the manager to confirm what the max was. The Manager said 2k, but she put through the 3k cause she didn't know how to pull them off.

Next day I go back and there are No VRs. The spot they were in the night before is marked for One Vanilla Cards. There are some new Cards, CVS now stocks the Rush Card and another one.

I went around to a number of other CVS (5), Including some usual producers, and all of them were out.

It used to be this bad back in May when people were finishing their HHonors, but since then it had not been this bad. Am I paranoid or did CVS Pull our Favorite Ice Cream?

2. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here in Bay Area. All CVS I frequent gave marked cash only for VRs. I tried several more special trips of nearby CVS stores, same story. I have kinda given up on VRs. Obviously, these CVS have lot of VRs on the shelf teasing me.

3. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen VRs in any of the four CVS stores where I have found them in the past.

4. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still lots Beans in several of my favorite South Florida CVS

5. 949

949 Active Member

Status Points:
    I saw a lot of beans stacked at one cbs in my area and plastic are okay.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 4 CVS within a 3 mile span and all are A OK to purchase with plastic

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never had a problem with buying on Plastic, only an issue of supply.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have it on pretty good authority that many of the CVS locations with low or no stock are waiting for the reissue of the latest VR design from Incomm, which is similar to the one being sold at 7-11, but with a few more card names on the front.

OceanBreezes and Muerl like this.
  9. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like this answer better than MM's answer in the other thread ;)

Wound up spending some time in Maine last month, which wound up with me having much easier access to WalMart for Debt loads to make up for the Vanilla I could not find. Will have to go investigate ;)

Gargoyle and GoodBoy like this.
  10. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    MM's answer was negative speculation. I have seen the new cards, and have confirmation that a CVS in the NE which was out of stock for a while is back in stock with the new design. I think many of us in the flyer world are conditioned to expect the worst, but it just doesn't seem to be true in this case.

Muerl likes this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I bought a VR from CVS last night; came online to try to reload my BB this morning. New Redesign to reload which looks cool (I guess) But I kept getting an error message when I tried to reload my BB.

Decided okay; maybe some bugs ... called the Customer Service # and I get a busy tone. Now I'm sorta (not really) worried that I lost $500.00

12. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I loaded with the new cards with no issues

edekba likes this.
  13. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    had an issue with new website this morning trying to load VR to BB, was able to no no problem on automated phone with 877 number on back of VR card.

edekba likes this.
  14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I just got through now; it was busy for a while but loaded via Phone okay now

15. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Working out some bugs it seems, but while I had no idea about the website revamp - the new cards are starting to show up in more places as the old stock dwindles. I had problems loading 1 of my cards last night too, so I'm assuming the next week or so might be filled with a few hiccups, but we should be good to go soon.

17. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also a friendly new partner on there I think.

18. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There are some bugs in the website, it sometimes gives a system error and I have to hit the button a couple more times, but then it goes through. Local CVS's have small but steady supplies, along with strong supplies of the Vanilla Reloadable Debit Card.

19. thesatishk

thesatishk Silver Member

Status Points:
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I found them in three out of five local CVS's this week. Of course, by the time I was done, those three were out of stock. :)
    Employees at several of the stores said there is high demand, and they never know what is coming on their weekly shipment until they unpack, but they all thought there was a good chance they'd have more in the next shipments.

All five stores had big stacks of Vanilla prepaid debit cards. You can get one of those with $500, then reload them with the VR reloads. (max load of $3k per 24 hour period, max spend of $2500 per 24 hour period). Note those are debit cards, so you also get a 50 cent fee on purchases and there is a small monthly maintenance fee. But... here's the wild part... I was using one at a big box store and on checkout the terminal popped up a message asking if I wanted cash back... I was taken by surprise, didn't want to push my luck, so I didn't do it that time. I'll try later this week and see if that works. If so... well, just think about the implications...

(I'm using the Vanilla debit card because I have large purchases to make from places that don't take AE, and I need to hit thresholds on the AE.)

21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Followup- I was able to get cash back, but $50 max (at that store anyway), and an additional $1.00 fee above the 50¢ that they charge on debit card transactions.

22. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else notice Amex Prepaid has been replaced with Amex Serve cards?

I walked into my dependable CVS and they ran out of VR. Then I noticed the Pp was replaced by something new and shiny. Found out it was a Serve Card.

23. kellyb2020

kellyb2020 Member

Status Points:
    I've had success in Charleston, SC and San Antonio TX in the last two weeks. I purchased $1,000 worth of VR at a time in both locations. No problems using a CC.

24. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to confirm I hauled my butt to my usual CVS today and found plenty of new Logo VR cards with the same style back as 7/11 cards.

Also did $2k on a Card. Guy didn't know the limit.

servo likes this.
  25. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome Muerl. We haven't seen any new ones in FL yet, and stocks are getting depleted.

Muerl and Gargoyle like this.