Disappearing 757s

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Seacarl, Nov 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sure seems like many of my UA flights to/from SEA that were operated by 757s for decades have been replaced by A320's (and a few by CO 738's). What is happening to all the 757s? Are they being retired? Have a bunch been taken out of service to be reconfigured for the new ps product so that they can have a quick cutover? Does anyone know where the 757s are?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are 5 being retired from the fleet in the immediate future. My guess is that the rest are being used for reconfigurations or put into markets that need the additional lift. The 738s have roughly the same passenger capacity and range and they probably don't need the increased cargo capacity in SEA as the much as they need it elsewhere in the system.

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    A UA FA told me that the UA FAs aren't able to get enough flying each month, while CO is hiring new FAs. That's a bit of a weird situation, given that they are represented by a single union. While likely they can only work on one airline until there's a single operating certificate, it still seems unfair for one group not to be able to get enough work. Or is this another artifact of the labor negotiation with the pilots' unions?

4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying a CO 738 tomorrow ORD to SNA. Downright spooky I tell ya!

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    One important difference, though, is that the 752s had 24 F seats and many of the 738's have 16 F seats. While that probably makes good business sense for the airline, it's an unpleasant development for an elite hoping for an upgrade! A320s with 12 F seats are even worse odds.

canucklehead, avflyer and JLSocks like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

That's the choice the unions made as I understand it. I believe that management offered the unions the opportunity to cross-source some flights or something like that and the unions declined.

No.

7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The last I've heard is that they have already started retiring the oldest UA 757s (from the 80s) and will keep on doing so and replace them with 737-900s.

The UA domestic 757s will still be used where the capacity is needed. Seattle has buses most of the day, if there was a demand for bigger aircraft, you would still see it.

Oh, and the UA 757s have 22 more seats than COs 738 with the most seat config

avflyer likes this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Demand is there. It's just that UA & AA are giving market share to AS & SW. Once it was DC-10's on most flights, then 757s, now it is down to A320s.

Heck, I just flew an A320 IAD-SFO hub-to-hub

avflyer likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's unusual about that?

10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Occasionally a 777 or 747, most flights 757 with a few 767. Not so many A320s on SFO-IAD or DEN-IAD

canucklehead likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I just have "bad luck" picking the Airbus flights (I don't actually mind the aircraft, just the upgrade chances). I have one coming up in about 10 days. But yes, the outbound leg is on a domestic 767...

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, it isn't.

No surprise there.
    A number of the dailies on that route are the A319/320. Ditto for DEN. Not sure where you're getting the idea that those routes are mostly Boeing and mostly the bigger planes, but they aren't.

LETTERBOY and avflyer like this.
  13. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think we will see a lot of movement of aircraft on routes early next year. I predict more Airbus traffic from IAH and the UA 752s being moved to routes where their fuel guzzling is made up for by their ability to carry lots of cargo.

avflyer likes this.
  14. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never thought I would be saying this, but I am going to miss those birds. Can anyone speculate on what they are going to use on the Hawaii single aisle runs? Please don't say NEOs:confused:

15. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably a mix of those and domestic 777 and 767, although there is a fair amount of cargo on those routes, so you could see 757s there for awhile.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought they are converting the domestic 767s into international ones?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't say that they still are mostly bigger planes on those routes, I said that they used to be. I've definitely flown widebodies on IAD-DEN/SFO/LAX in the recent past. It seems a recent development that we are seeing so many A320s on transcon and ORD-West Coast flights. It is consistent with withdrawing the 752s.
    I have the feeling that 738's and 739ER's will be doing more Hawaii flying, at least from California, especially if the 763's and 772's become international configurations, and the 752 fleet is reduced. AS now does extensive Hawaii-West Coast flying using 738's.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You are correct.

19. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    My bad - 4am didn't like me. I agree with Seacarl, we'll probably see more 738s and 739s on the HI routes.

avflyer likes this.
  20. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's fine. Especially when they get the E+ seats. Does the Direct TV work overwater??

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm very disappointed with the loss of 757s on the SEA-SFO route. Just as I was disappointed with the loss of 757s on the SEA-LAX route before that (at least I think they were there; I was young). Now I'm stuck on a CR7 heading home for Thanksgiving next week. Only one of the day, but not good. Hopefully they don't move them all to regional jets like they did with LAX. I have lots of excuses not to go to LAX. But at least my parents bribe me with good food and wine in SFO.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope. The stored content should.

23. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I'm guessing it is the same price........

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just one word ... iPad :)

FriendlySkies and LETTERBOY like this.
  25. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    In seat configuration, yes. However, they still have very limited range due to engines.