Disabled people 'humiliated' when they travel by air

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Oct 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Disabled people 'humiliated' when they travel by air ||

:mad::(

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    :( Wow, never thought about that.

Jimgotkp, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, this aspect is often overlooked by people which take access for granted.

Jett Rink, Jimgotkp and Kalboz like this.
  4. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Diapers are prolly the mainstay of the mobility-impaired, or should be.

5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do agree that something should be done to make traveling by air easier for those with disabilities, but coming up with some reasonable accommodations is not an easy thing. Are there any good ideas out there that could be tried?

uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly probably not. These days people just want to be mad then rant and rave without any solutions.

Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking as a mobility-impaired customer who usually refuses assistance: this is not true, not at all.

8MiHi and uggboy like this.
  8. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was referring to the usual group of people who get angry at everything even if it doesn't effect them. (and it usually doesn't). To the people it does effect,such as yourself, I hope a rational discussion can be had to solve the issue. I guess I should have chosen my words better.

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm Deaf myself so the politically correct moniker of hearing impaired would fit but I flat out refuse assistance as I'm not dependent. I don't rant and rave expecting no solutions and to put it quite astutely it's not a problem unless there's a solution. Meaning if they can't think of one or attempt to then they shouldn't have the merit to complain at all.

Posted via Smoke Signals.

10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    People often allow their frustration show through when faced with a problem that cannot be easily fixed. And it is frustrating to want to help and not know if there are reasonable solutions for these hurdles to dignified access. Of the two disabled people I have known who have flown, one paid for first class and a travel companion, the second made sure he didn't drink before the flight (RT: EWR-PBI). Both were proud that they could still travel and were pleased that they could deal with their obstacles.
    Of course, we should never stop trying to come up with reasonable and effective answers anyway.

uggboy likes this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like a) a stereotype, and b) you are expressing able-ism, and I'm absolutely calling you out on it. There are plenty of able-bodied people who meet your description; it has nothing to do with disability, real or feigned.

uggboy likes this.