Disabled Man Claims Delta Forced Him to Crawl On and Off Plane

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Jul 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/disabled-man-claims-delta-forced-crawl-off-plane/story?id=19801554

partially paralyzed man is suing Delta Airlines, claiming he was forced to crawl on and off his flights and across the tarmac because he wasn't provided with the equipment he needed to board and exit the plane, according to a complaint.

D. Baraka Kanaan, 40, of Haiku, Hawaii, filed the suit in U.S. District Court in Hawaii against Delta Airlines and 20 of the carrier's employees and agents. The suit, filed on July 23, seeks damages after he endured "intense physical and extreme emotional suffering" from the ordeal.

In the suit, Kanaan said the airline subjected him to "appallingly outrageous treatment" both on his flight to Nantucket, Mass., on July 27, 2012 and on his flight back to Maui, Hawaii, two days later.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/disabled-man-claims-delta-forced-crawl-off-plane/story?id=19801554

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've read some on the story; no way to know what really happened, but something about it just doesn't ring true. Probably some strong true elements, but it feels to me like some, perhaps many, add ons to help create a lawsuit.

WilliamQ, gregm and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed...

A poster on FT noted this guy hired a drunk driving attorney in Hawaii vice one that deals with ADA claims...which does seem a bit odd.

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's got to be more to this story. :confused:

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure there is...some have suggested it was for PR, but who knows...

6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Disabled Hawaiian man reaches settlement with Delta after forced to crawl off planes

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-crawl-report-article-1.1765090#ixzz2zlRR3sSQ

WilliamQ likes this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    (Just me thinking out loud)
    Even if Delta did as stated with staff laying out cardboards for him to crawl on his own and just stood back to watch, I am surprised that no other passengers stepped in, helped or even captured some videos / pictures and post it online. SO many possibilities but current version is hard to accept as it is.

LETTERBOY, vickers and gregm like this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly.... If this happened like he said it did, there would be a video somewhere.

gregm, LETTERBOY and WilliamQ like this.
  9. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    But there initial offer of compensation was 25k miles.

10. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now, now - don't be jealous. :rolleyes:

Seriously:"There were a great number of people watching, and the experience caused Mr. Kanaan great physical and emotional suffering,"

And nobody took a photo or helped? I ain't buying it.

David

gregm, LETTERBOY, USAF_Pride and 3 others like this.
  11. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    If only one of these "great number of people" had a device on them that could take pictures or videos! No one carries cameras these days:eek:

gregm, LETTERBOY, USAF_Pride and 2 others like this.
  12. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    maybe if I crawled from AUS-SAT I could have received 25k?!?!

Just to play devil's advocate here; maybe the people were in total shock about what they saw (couldn't believe what they were seeing) and didn't think to grab a photo.

On the flipside, DL settled, so there must be something there (how little, I am unsure). Remember that DL has had issues with ADA in the past and probably didn't want another mark in their column.

gregm likes this.
  13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it. Every person on the plane would be too shocked to pull out their phone and take a picture or video? I don't think all the people on the plane would be that shocked.

I don't think there's anything there. DL probably decided it would cost more money to fight this than it would to pay the guy to just go away. I think the guy's full of it.

gregm and Flyer1976 like this.