Dirty/Smelly Car Interiors

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by adexpert, Jan 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone else noticed an uptick in cars that have poor smelling interiors? I'd say probably 6/8 of the last rentals I've had all over the US (small and large airports and an HLE today) have smelled like smoke. I'd never had this issue before but now all the sudden it seems constant.

I thought all of Hertz's cars were non-smoking anyway. Most places are happy to change it out but I had at least one counter rep tell me "all our cars have been smoked in" and try not changing the car.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Part of the problem is that rental car fleets are much older on average than previously. Higher mileage cars are much less likely to look and smell fresh. Also, Hertz is probably cleaning them less thoroughly to save money. Nevertheless, you have a right to a smoke free car and should insist on it. Hertz is not a discount rental car company.

2soonold and adexpert like this.
  3. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    You make a good point that I forgot about around the age of the cars. I have noticed car mileage has gone way up. I generally don't care about that part but it does make sense that the quality of the interior is going to degrade as mileage goes up. I grumbled at my HLE this afternoon about the smoky interior and they dug up a 6000 mile midsize which is probably the lowest mileage I've had in 4 or 5 months. I got a 35,000 mile Camry with maintenance light at CLD earlier in the week.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a Nissan Versa last Sunday with 650 miles on it. Didn't even have a license plate yet.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    With these older vehicles, it's especially important to check that major things like lights and windshield wipers work and to look at the tires before leaving the Hertz lot. For example, lack of a functioning interior light can compromise your personal security in a dark parking lot.

2soonold and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    My theory is that it has more to do with the season. During the colder months drivers are less likely to have their windows wide open when smoking. In addition, when wet shoes cause the carpet to get wet, there is less solar heating during the day to get it to dry faster. Just a thought, but it jives with my experience.

7. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    On my most recent rental, I picked up a RAV4, only to find a cigarette burn in the driver's seat. Exchanged it for another RAV4, only to have a ripped carpet under the gas pedal. Not impressed at all and I will let Hertz know how I feel. I think it's back to National for me!

8. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had many smelly interiors lately, but I have had a couple that had a horrible smell after turning on the air conditioner.

9. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't noticed it with Hertz though my last several rentals for work trips were forced to be with Enterprise where things haven't been as clean (and typically Enterprise isn't as thorough as Hertz) and smelled much more "lived in". I agree the mileage seems to generally be up across the board, I've had as high as 28,000 miles on a POS Buick Regal - though that was with Enterprise I think. I'll have a couple of Hertz rentals next month so will be curious to see if I have any bad luck.

10. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a shocker at BOS last fall. It was a tiny Nissan, with no extras at all - roll up windows, no central locking, 42,000 miles on the clock and it stank of cigarette smoke which no amount of open windows in showery weather was going to solve. If I hadn't been tight for time and already had a run in with their staggeringly rude staff, I would have demanded something else.