Dirtiest bedding. - CBC News

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Sammich, Oct 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatever location this is...Come on Sheraton...you can do better.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/dirty-hotels-6-germ-hotspots-to-worry-about-1.2100864?cmp=rss

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton, which belongs to Starwood can and should do better. Thanks for sharing, most interesting article.

B1BomberVB and Sammich like this.
  3. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not too surprised on the remote, I've expected that in pretty much every hotel.

I am surprised how Super 8 is the lowest...

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Super 8? Lowest price point = better cleaning, newer remote, regular disinfection or simply more people who clean themselves properly. Who knew?

Regarding the coffee makers it states the following, I wonder why they haven't the data:

4. Coffee makers
    Note: We were unable to get readings in this category for all of the hotels.

I also remember not too long ago that Best Western has a new cleaning policy introduced which stipulates, when I can remember correctly that they disinfect routinely which incl. the remote I believe.

5. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hm. Perhaps some of the hotel rooms didn't provide one? I don't remember seeing a coffee maker during my stay at Fairmont.

A long time ago I stayed in a hotel (totally forgot which one) had a little sticker on top of the remote saying that it was disinfected every room service. I wonder if that's true...I THINK it was Holiday Inn.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember such stickers too, but the remote control was in a clear plastic foil, and the remote could be perfectly used in this way, and after a guest checks out, they simply remove the foil and exchange it with another clear foil for the next guest, I have seen this during our stay in Dubai, Sep. 2012 at the Rotana Hotel, Sheikh Zayed Road. I don't believe at least that I have ever seen such stickers / foils in a Starwood or IHG operated hotel so far.

Sammich likes this.
  7. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen a cleaner take a glass, wipe it out with a used towel and put the "sanitized" wrapper on it and return it to the bathroom (was a Holiday Inn in the U.S. a few years ago).

I find it easiest just not to speculate what might be there and tip the housekeeper so they may take a little extra care!

B1BomberVB, uggboy and Sammich like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's sad IMHO that cleanliness depends on tips paid towards the housekeeper. I mean, it's his/her job, right?
    I would ever hope for that they do their jobs properly, they get already paid for it. Tips IMHO encourage to such "unclean" behavior in the first place, this could lead to extortion or "only when you have the $$$$ you will stay healthy in this hotel and get something you've already paid for"....that's the flip-side of tipping.

9. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen housekeepers wipe out coffee mugs and put them back next to the coffee maker rather than replace the mug with those that have been through a dishwasher. First time I observed this I went to the front desk and requested styrofoam cups and explained my observation. The front desk staffer said he would take it up with housekeeping. Yuk, coffee mugs and ice buckets but at least most hotels provide a sterile plastic bag, but who knows for sure?

B1BomberVB, Sammich and uggboy like this.
  10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gross Sheraton.

Sammich and uggboy like this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know it's gross when Super 8 beats them.

12. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone knows the remote followed by the door knobs (cross contamination) and phone are the most disgusting things in a hotel room. Just like a persons mobile phone or door knobs at home can be breeding grounds for germs.

This is why I carry a travel pack of clorox wipes with me everywhere. I wipe of the remote/remotes, sink, desk, toilet seat and door knobs before using them. It's a 5 min. routine I started after the Holiday Inn, bust where the housekeeper cleaned glasses with the cleaning cloth from the toilet.

adventuress, B1BomberVB and Sammich like this.
  13. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OMG I bet she'd never do that at her own home, but seriously!?! who does that??? I hope she was fired.

Sammich likes this.
  14. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is the video.:

Sheraton Suites Galleria-Atlanta was involved, as to keep this on subject.

15. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wiping out coffee mugs and glasses by housekeepers seems to be standard practice everywhere. The only reason I generalize is this; who sees housekeepers carts loaded with glassware? The usual cart has sheets, pillow cases, soaps, shampoos, toilet paper and tissues but who sees mugs and glasses? Not me...EVER. Okay end of grossness.

16. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen them wash glassware in room. And I've also seen them with glasses under the cart on bottom shelves. But I'm sure it varies wildly.

18. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....well thats good .... if I tip and you don't my room should get the extra care I'm hoping for!

19. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. The last time i stayed in a Super 8 was in college..... Amazed to see they are cleaner than most..... But only Toronto market was tested.... Maybe a great Super 8 franchise owner there?

20. Hi - lots of interesting stuff there. The place where I regularly stay, cleans and disinfects the room; always looks immaculate, including the fridge and en-suite, a "wet room" The remote is covered in plastic, not sure if they disinfect it. The air conditioner was replaced recently, and people seem to check them (a source of problems?)
    The place? a small guest house in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Cost, $12 per night. I recently started to leave a modest tip after my 30 day stay - but because the staff are helpful anyway. I gather this is rare!
    Will.

adventuress likes this.
  21. adventuress

adventuress Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also like to stay at B&B and see no difference as a rule between guest house and hotels in most things. However, I stayed at a B&B last February and was entrapped by the suction in an apparently old and poorly maintained jet tub. It looked new. I had a lumbar fracture, screamed at the top of my lungs and no one came (finally noticed the drain knob across from me and was able to twist it so the water ran out) and only got rescued when I was able to crawl to my cell phone to call 911. Two days in the hospital and I am still in pain after almost 9 months. Fortunately I am an adult. If I were a child I would have died. Needless to say I will never use a hot tub again. Yes, some places are dirty I guess and poor heat or air con and lots of steps sometimes but this incident was a horror in a seemingly clean and beautiful guest house.

22. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes! Sounds terrible.