Dinner in Barcelona

Discussion in 'Europe' started by KyRoamer, Mar 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    We will be there on our own for three nights and would like to graze (wonder into a couple of places located near each other) for tapas one night, do a fine restaurant (no jacket required though) one night and a great seafood restaurant (casual preferred) where fresh, locally caught fish are available one night.
    Suggestions welcomed.

uggboy, daninstl and tondoleo like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like your thinking. Something like this would be my plan too.

For fish, look down along the water, for example around the port that's north (to your left as you face the water) of where Ramblas ends. There are lots of simple places for fresh grilled fish.

I don't remember names, but there's a traditional fine dining place a couple blocks above Diagonal, near Passeo de Gracia. You can eat in either the bar or the dining room. Alternatively, if you turn to the left along Diagonal, there's a renowned restaurant that's upstairs in one of the Gaudi buildings. I would describe it as "nouvelle" Spanish cuisine in a pretty setting.

For tapas, in nice weather, you can just stroll along Passeo de Gracia or the parallel street to the south and look at the sidewalk cafe menus to find something appealing. [I think of Ramblas as a tourist trap which is more likely to have pickpockets.] Alternatively, look for cava bars down near the old port, in an area that was rough until the Olympics caused Barcelona to be cleaned up. There are some new wine bars in Eixample that do slightly upscale tapas.

A historic restaurant that's a bit touristic but also frequented by locals is named something like Seven Doors (Sietas Portas in Catalon???). I've enjoyed it.

KyRoamer, uggboy and daninstl like this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Tapas I recommend Cerveceria Catalana at Carrer de Mallorca, 236. My wife and I ate lunch there two days in a row since we enjoyed it so much. A colleague ate there in December and said it was delicious.

The restaurant is located near the corner of Mallorca and Rambla de Catalunya. Lunch is less hectic than dinner here. Once you have eaten your body will be ready for a proper siesta that will keep you rested and sated until dinner at 10 pm.

Enjoy your visit. Say hi to the pickpocketeers.

KyRoamer, uggboy and daninstl like this.
  4. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Barcelona is less of a bar hopping tapas city compared to other parts of Spain but otherwise, the food options are fantastic. Just be wary of the obvious tourist traps with touts and big picture menus outside....

A favourite for Catalan style Paellas is Barraca in Barceloneta over looking the beach. Some local friends took us there and it has become a bit of a Sunday lunch ritual when we visit.

We usually stay in the L'Eixample area where arguably some of the best food and restaurants can be found. I found TripAdvisor quite handy last time. I discovered an excellent but tiny family run place but can't remember the name. It was near La Flauta - which is also very good for Tapas style eating.

5. isn't there a french guide that helps in these cases :) also isn't there san sebastian not too far away :) I think El Cellar is not too fat away :) I would TRY to book .

I really need to actually answer the question :) rather than just write random facts :-0

TICKETS oh batman How did I forget TICKETS

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gault Millault? Or do you mean Michelin, the tire people?

For dinner in Barcelona, going to San Sebastian is not really a practical option.

7. both and yes but its not a bad place for a day trip

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO it's too far for a day trip. Girona, Figueres (spelling?), Taragona (?), or the Cava producing region would be good day trips from Barcelona. Even Valencia is too far to be enjoyable for a day trip.