Dining for miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cotter77, Nov 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So over the last several months i have probably signed up for half dozen dining for miles programs.
    I have never used them because most of the restaurants near me that i like dont participate and the ones that do participate are not worth going to.
    Hence, I never pay attention to these accounts much and i have no clue which CC i enrolled in them.

But next week I may go to a dining for miles restaurant...i am curious to know what happens if i use a CC that is enrolled in several of the restaurant programs (like my chase sapphire is, probably).
    Which dining program will yield the miles?

also, which dining miles program do you think has the best benfits and bonus?

2. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a good question. I would assume the most recent program you signed the card up for would earn the miles but that is just my guess...

All of the programs more or less have the same offers. When I get a bonus offer then I will try to earn for that program/ offer. Otherwise you should try to earn miles for the program you value most.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of the dining programs that are run by Rewards Network (AA, US, etc) are tied together in the backend, so if you register a card with US Airways Dining for example, and it was already registered with AA Dining, you'll get an email indicating that the card was removed from the other program.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  4. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    never got any email from them, but i know i put that chase sapphire UR card on several....

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. That has never worked for me.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about logging into each account and viewing the card(s) listed there?:)

7. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for AAdvantage dining first, then Mileage Plus dining... and most recently SkyMiles dining. Each one yielded 1,000 miles bonus just for signing up + first dine over $25 and a written review. There are a ton of places that participate in these programs around NYC metropolitan area so I've been lucky. I've signed up all the credit cards I have into one or more programs so that whenever I dine, no miles are lost. With AAdvantage dining I was able to jack it up to VIP status earning 5 miles per dollar per dine. Often enough they had bonus offers but it was at least a year ago so I don't remember the details. Overall I've earned more miles dining than flying on American, United and Delta (whom I've never flown) Never know when I will need those miles.

8. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently used my Sapphire card to sign up for the Dividends dining program for the GS. Once my hit posted I thought "why not sign this card up for every dining program"? That thought was too good to be true. I got the email telling me so once I signed up for the AA dining program.

9. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what is supposed to happen. I've been stopped cold during the registration process when I accidentally tried to sign up a rarely used card that was already registered to another Rewards Network dining program.

Bottom line: You can have multiple cards in a single account, but you're not supposed to have the same card in multiple accounts.

10. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA, DL, US, UA all have similar benefits. They all have the same earnings levels (3 miles/$ for a registered account, then 5 miles/$ after you reach VIP status for 11 dines in a calendar year.) With some exceptions, the restaurants are the same (although you may get additional choices once you hit VIP status), and the bonuses tend to be either identical or fairly similar.

One well-known way to work the system is to use the purchase of gift cards to meet the 11 dines requirement to reach VIP. Cards count as a dine on the day that you buy them. So you could buy lunch, pay for it, then buy one or more gift cards, all paid for separately, and earn multiple dines at one restaurant on the same day. (As long as that restaurant doesn't have a limit on number of dines per month.) If a restaurant doesn't give miles on certain days, you still earn miles by purchasing gift cards on a day that earns miles, then using them to dine on a day that doesn't otherwise give miles.

But be sure to vary the amounts if you do multiple purchases on the same day at the same restaurant. The RN computer will kick out dines for the same amount as if they were a duplicate submission, and then you'll have to go through the hassle of faxing in the receipts.